computer screen goes blank, long beep, restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fuzzypumpkins, Jun 23, 2008.

1. fuzzypumpkins

fuzzypumpkins Private E-2

So I will just be on the internet or not even doing anything at all, and the computer will just give one long beep, and i am forced to restart. I can play games fine, no problems. I did a memory test with a boot-cd test and it said the ram was fine. I don't know why it has this problem....it started just about one week ago and has done it three or four times now. I have had my computer the same way as it is now since fall of last year.

8800 gts 640 version
    e6850 c2d
    4gb ocz ram 800mhz
    arctic cooling freezer 7
    650i ultra mobo
    ocz gamexstream 700w psu

any ideas?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Try running memtest overnight for 8 hours. Also, prime on the Ultimate BootCD (google) for 8 hours. If your pc is stable outside Windows, then it's Windows.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

A long beep can sometimes be a system warning for CPU overheating (basically an overheating alarm and leads to system shut down). Have a look at system temps please, before you boot up in BIOS, then just as you boot up and then we will load it with:

MemTest

While your in the OS, open 4 instants of the app with a temp monitoring software open and set them to 800Mb each with the last set for "Test all Unused RAM", what are temps doing as system loads? Stop and close apps if system becomes to hot.

4. fuzzypumpkins

my temperatures all look fine

5. fuzzypumpkins

now its saying i need to reset my frequencies and clocks, but I never overclocked.

i did it anyway and it still goes black and makes and i have to restart.....now its more frequently.

could it be a virus?

should i just take the pc apart, and clean it, reformat?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is frustrating....it just happened when i typed this the first time

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well you have 4Gb of RAM and I have realised that this starts to suck a lot of juice. I have 4Gb and wanted to test my RAM with memtest86+ in DOS before OS and my SPD states 800MHz@1.8v@4-4-4-12 but I couldn't get it to post at 800MHz with those settings (even with CPU lowered). Recently reading about the drain the RAM has I increased my DRAMv to 2.0v and got it to boot and then ran memtest86+ for 1-2 hours. So I have come to realise if you start using that amount of RAM you may have to increase the voltages "slightly". Another consideration is the FSB Voltages as the 4Gb can place strain there as well, but try just upping the RAM for now and see if you get more stability.

7. fuzzypumpkins

now my pc is ruined.

i noticed that the beeping kept getting more and more frequent, but now as soon as I press the on button on the tower, it beeps and I have to restart or shutdown manually. It wont even go to the bios screen.

8. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Clear cmos, load defaults in bios, set ram to specs.

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Let's hope not mine does this sometimes but if I turn it off at the power switch at the rear, wait at least 10 seconds then restart it it generally comes on with the BIOS reset.

10. fuzzypumpkins

the power switch trick on the back of the pc did not work...

i am going to take out the cmos battery overnight and put it back in tomorrow...hope this works

11. fuzzypumpkins

resetting the cmos did not work

im lost now

12. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

did you try to take out some of the ram and just boot with one stick? (or whatever config. u currently have , 2x2gb etc. )

13. fuzzypumpkins

i did not try booting with one stick, but i did try rearranging the sticks to see if that did anything. I will try to use the one stick idea later. Right now im using my other pc to copy my data on my sata hdd to my external hdd so i can use it on my laptop. Taking ownership of files takes a while. Oh, and when I was taking apart the pc to see if there were any loose parts, i broke off the little prongs on the cpu cooler, so now i need to buy another one of those. This just keeps getting better and better.

14. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

In some case, you have to try each stick in each slot until the pc posts, then set ram to specs in bios, and install the rest.

15. fuzzypumpkins

what happens when it doesn't post with any combination of my ram?

16. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Professional help would be in order.

17. fuzzypumpkins

agreed

well it had a good run....about a year or so

18. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

another possibility, check your cpu and make sure it's seated correctly and apply some fresh thermal paste.

19. fuzzypumpkins

so now im going through newegg/tigerdirect looking for upgrades to buy.

but then i started thinking, i dont actually know what part of the pc failed.

-power supply
    -mobo
    -gfx card
    -cpu
    -ram

my guess is that is is either the mobo or cpu

if it is one of those two ^^^, then i hope it is the mobo, because i want a new one anyways.

20. unfaithfulsfan

unfaithfulsfan Private E-2

this might be a stretch but have you tried another PSU?

Jack

21. fuzzypumpkins

i haven't tried another psu, i wish i could, but i dont have another one.

the only way would be to buy one

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds