Computer screen lock up

Discussion in 'Software' started by g.cor, Feb 18, 2015.

1. g.cor

g.cor Private E-2

Hi all,
    I'm working with Windows Vista. What would cause my computer screen to just lock up, without any cursor control?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Does this happen all the time or random, does it happen after PC boots and within 5mins or at a specific time?

Does this happen only when using a specific application and if so what?

If you boot into Safe Mode with Networking (F8 at boot) does it still happen?

What security software do you have installed, and please name all?

What is your PC/Laptops make and model?

I know a lot of questions, but helps work of the problem and solution.

4. g.cor

g.cor Private E-2

Thanks plodr for the link.

g

5. g.cor

g.cor Private E-2

Hi David, thanks for your response.
    It happens randomly after being on the net for a while. I may only have several windows open but I think it tends to lock when I have more. It doesn't seem to mater what application I'm with. I'll try safe mode next lock up. I'm working with Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 530/531 desktop using Trend Micro Antivirus. I also run Malwarebytes.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

I don't have a vista vm to help with this, but....

You can click "start" then run, then type in:

eventvwr.msc

Press enter.

Check for any red errors under system or applications during the time that it locked up.

Another note: Are you overclocking? I custom built some heavy duty CAD/ESRI workstations, that after a bios update, it set the system to use optimized performance, instead of normal performance. The optimized caused an issue with CAD and ESRI when working with heavy maps.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds