Computer Shuts Down Mid Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KittyBeats, May 8, 2013.

1. KittyBeats

KittyBeats Private E-2

Hello, I bought a gaming computer a year ago and everything has worked fine with no problems until yesterday. I was playing a game when my screen froze. I pressed the button on the front of my computer to shut it down and when i turned it back on it was stuck at the motherboard screen. After two times of this happening i took the battery out of the mother board for five minutes and put it back in and now it gets past the motherboard screen but shuts down within 45 seconds of booting. Sometimes i can get to the starting windows screen but i have never gotten to my desktop. Any ideas of what the problem is?

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.

My first inclination is a hard drive failure. To test this, insert a bootable CD or DVD. If you have your Windows restore/install CD use it, otherwise any Linux bootable disk will do (if you don't have one, check the downloads section). When booting, hit the "F12" key as soon as the PC starts and choose the CD/DVD drive as the boot option.

If the PC starts up with the CD/DVD, it's likely your hard drive is bad. You will have to replace it and reload Windows and your games/programs.

If you have not backed up your files, there is a chance (but not a guarantee) you can hook the failed drive up to a working PC. If the working PC recognizes it, you can go into the "Users" directory and copy the files to a working PC or external drive.

Hope this helps. :)

3. KittyBeats

KittyBeats Private E-2

I was trying to reseat everything and i found this. This piece over the CPU is broken i am guessing this is the cause? Pic Is my PC. As you can see the plastic is snapped[​IMG]

incase pic dosnt upload here correctly http://imgur.com/kbltJr8

also thanks for your response gman

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

At this point, it might be a good idea to take the PC to a reputable repair shop and have them determine if the broken part is responsible and have them check the PC out. If the CPU is not being cooled properly, it could cause hundreds of dollars in damage.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Safe mode Gman?:p

Hit F8 when the computer is booting to enter boot options, select safe mode see if you get to desktop.

6. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

My concern at this point is the broken part. From the picture, I'm not sure if it has an effect on the seating of the heat sink against the CPU. This is why I advised KittyBeats to err on the side of caution and consult a professional if he/she is unsure if the broken part could cause overheating damage to the motherboard or processor.

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

My bad missed the picture, your absolutely right the cooler isn't seated, could damaged the cpu.

Sorry :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds