computer shuts off on loading windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragonpete01, Oct 9, 2008.

1. dragonpete01

dragonpete01 Private E-2

I have searched all the forums for a awnser to this problem and have not found a awnser yet.

when i switch on my pc it will go through the bios and post and and start to load windows and then shut it self off as if the power was cut to the pc.I have replaced memory and cpu and graphics card still the same .i ran micro 2000 (2008) on it to test every thing and it found no faults on MB or anything on ram or cpu fault,no shut downs even on benchmarking for 12 hours .i have tried to install windows again still no good.i am trying to narrow it down to cut costs.

MB:asus m2n sli delixe
    ram:eek:cz platinuim dfi
    cpu:amd phenom 9550
    grafix:radeon 1950 1gb
    ps:750 w enermax

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Tried loading a different Operating System, or a different Windows CD. Linux has quite a few Live CD's/DVD's available. Most are free for download, just burn the ISO to a CD or DVD, boot from optical drive, will run in RAM, no install required. Then install at your discretion. PCLinuxOS and Knoppix are a few choices that come to mind for a Windows user. If you haven't tried it UBCD might be of some assistance
    http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

Bug

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I'm wondering if the power button on the front of the computer is failing. This would cause it to boot, but only briefly if it was sticking as though permanently pushed in. Do you have another case you could try it in? Or by another switch.

4. dragonpete01

dragonpete01 Private E-2

hi
    thanks for the input on the problem i have .i have tried umbuntu,vista, xp and even windows 98 all do the same thing.i tested the switch (on/off button )aswell and found no faults.micro 2000 is loaded into the memory(ram) and runs all its operations from there i have run all the tests which takes upto 24 hours without a crash.It tested hard drives ,memory ,motherboard,usb ports and controllers,ports,etc.when it started happening it started gradually ,pc was ok one night the next morning i turned it on and it switched off on its own when i was working on it ,then was ok for the day ,and then got progressivly worse ,so now wont swith on for longer than 20 seconds when loading vista,but runs for 24 hours running micro 2000 np.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Please confirm that this is a tower/desktop, as I have posted a similar problem with a laptop.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=170981

I can reliable get Vista back by taking the hard drive out and running Check Disk on another Vista pc. (Don't use an XP etc for this).

I haven't fully resolved my problem yet but observe that Vista has access to and responds to many motherboard controls that simpler operating systems do not. When you get it started check the power control and hibernation settings. Turning off may ease the things.

6. dragonpete01

dragonpete01 Private E-2

hi thanks for the reply,the pc is a desktop unit in a coolermaster mystique box with 2 x 120 mm fans for cooling so i cant see any overheating problems as my cpu has a artic cooler 64 fan on it and the graphics card has a thermo cooler on it .All are running very cool and nothing is overclocked.

i am starting to think it could be the power supply and a motherboard combination that is not working well , i have purchased a power supply tester and will see what happens when i run it .

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Power supply testers which display simple led indicators are no good for edge of tolerance testing.
    So long as there is a reasonable supply the LEDs will light so all they will tell you is if the psu (or one voltage output) has failed altogether.
    You need to measure the voltages on load. Tolerances are pretty tight, especially for a performance machine.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=159746&highlight=power+supply+tolerances

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds