Computer shuts off when running...Hardware monitor issue..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by topshelf1227, Aug 9, 2009.

1. topshelf1227

topshelf1227 Private E-2

Hello...can you direct me to what to do with my cpu issue...??

My computer shuts off randomly. When I try to turn it back on, it won't go on unless I unplug the main power cord from the back for a few seconds and then replug it in.

When I do restart the computer, I get the following error message:

Hardware monitor found an error. Enter Power setup menu for details. F1 to continue, F2 for setup.

When I press F1 it will continue to Windows with no problem. However, entering power setup menu reveals, if I recall correctly, the Power fan speed not registering any info.

What do I do? What is the issue? Help please! Thanks!

SONY VAIO PCV - RX 650
    Windows XP Pro

2. alwayz.alone

alwayz.alone Private E-2

hmm so much intrstng problm but dont worry ... its so much simple......

1- open M.B and check Capictorz around the CPU if its good no problm in ur M.B Hardware

2- Go to bios setup and also go to CPU heat setting.... Enable all option....

3- change Computer Power suply...

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I would say your cooling fan has died, thats the reason for the shutdowns, cpu overheats and shuts down. Local repair shop my guess. ed

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Pull the side cover off the pc and see if the fan is running on top of the cpu heatsink, the big silver finned thing, it also might be running so slow that it is pushing very little air. ed

5. topshelf1227

topshelf1227 Private E-2

Okay...I am very very new at all computer stuff...if you talk me through it very slowly and fully I will be able to do it, but I know NOTHING about computers hardware.

So which is it? If the cooling fan has stopped or slowed down too much, how do I fix? I really do think it is the cooling fan (or I should say overheating, unless they are one in the same) because if I keep my AC on very cool it the room it doesn't shut off nearly as much.

What am I looking for? Can I open the computer up while it's running? Can I check anything in a program and post the report here for anyone to look at to help?

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Take one side off of the computer and then turn it on. You will probably have several fans, which are all working. At some point in time one or more of the fans either gets too slow or stops completely and your computer shuts down to protect the chip from the heat. You might not be able to catch which fan it is the first time or two it shuts down but if you can get a friend to help, one of you can use the computer, with the cover off, while the other watches the fans.

7. topshelf1227

topshelf1227 Private E-2

Okay...when I enter Power Setup Menu, I see that the Power Fan Speed is N/A. The CPU fan speed is 3400 RPM.

Also I used to have a problem with my secondary hard drive...but I no longer have this problem...it went away on it's own?

When the computer started I got this message:

Award Medallion BIOS v 6.0
    Copywright (c) 1984-2001, Award Software, Inc.

ACPI BIOS Revision 1002

Award Plus and Play BIOS Extension v 1.0 A
    Initialize Plug and Play Cards...
    PNP Init Completed

Detecting Primary Master...WDC WD 1600JB-00GVCD
    Detecting Primary Slave...ST 380020A
    Detecting Secondary Master...HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8160B
    Detecting Secondary Slave...SONY CD-RW CRX175E
    SMART Failure Predicted on Primary Slave: ST380020A

WARNING: Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup

12/18/2001 - I845 - P4B266LM

So I clicked on F1 and it loaded up just fine.

I no longer get this message now, and I didn't lose any use of the drive. But now I get the other message about the Hardware Monitor.

And, I don't hear a fan going inside my computer like I used to. But about a month ago, one day when I turned it on, I did hear a fan going and I did NOT get that hardware monitor error.

but it came back.

So now I get the power management problem instead of the hard drive problem.

Thanks for helping....what's next?

8. topshelf1227

topshelf1227 Private E-2

I have not received a reply in a while....so I'm asking again.

Is this the power supply? Do I just go out and get a new one?

I don't know how to install it...I am not good at computer hardware issues...I'm desperate for help. My computer shut off 3 times today alone.

Please someone....tell me what you think is the issue?

I need this computer for my work.

if it is the PSU, what is recommended to get?

My cpu is a SONY VAIO PCV-RX650

Is there anything else that you need to know....please advise.
    Thanks.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try not to use .... in paragraphs as the forums spamfilter will catch and moderate them and only when one of the admin team get a chance to review them are they visible to all, cheers.

as to your issue, this if not mistaken is a Sony Desktop and not laptop PC? if desktop its easier to check and with PC off take the side off so you can look at the motherboard and CPU fan, then be careful not to touch any of the insides, but turn the PC on and check to see if the CPU fans is working or not, does it stop at all.

Are the insides of the PC clean and free from dust, especially the CPU heatsink and fan? if not with PC switched off and off at the mains, leave the power cable in as it earths you, then gently clean the insides of the PC out, caned air and a very soft brush are good for this, but only do the cleaning of your confident of working inside a PC, if not then get a friend who is to have a look.

10. topshelf1227

topshelf1227 Private E-2

Was that IT???!?!?! Was it THAT simple? I took the cover off and cleaned it out with compressed air and a toothbrush. I removed the PSU to get to the heatsink and fan and cleaned that well...it was very gunky. I placed everything back and turned it on with the side cover off to see if the PSU fan and the heatsink and fan were working. They were.

I no longer get that hardware monitor error.

Will I get it again? Is it just because it was dirty? Wow. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds