Computer shutting down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OMGITSANDREW, Feb 6, 2011.

1. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Hey people,new here so go easy on me lol.

I have a big problem with my computer,long story so bear with me.
    This started back in november,I was playing atlantica online when suddenly my computer froze up and I had to hard reboot...from then on it kept doing it seemingly at random whenever I was playing it,I thought my video card had blown so I brought an nvidia geforce 7950 GT (AGP version),installed it ect ect and it STILL freezes up when playing atlantica....only now it freezes when playing perfect world also (something it didn't do before I got the new vid card),this issue seems to be progressing because now if my computer doesn't freeze while playing the mouse dies and I can't move it...again forcing me to restart,also now in the past week I cannot right click on my desktop...the right click menu doesn't show up and the egg timer icon just keeps displaying.

I'm starting to think this could be a problem with my motherboard (it is an ECS KM400-M2 ....yes quite old) the pro is athalon xp 2400+ and I have 1.5G RAM.

Anyways sorry for the run on post but had a lot to make clear lol,anyone help with this please?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Still nobody who can point me in the right direction?

*Bump*

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

* Go to NVIDIA's web site and manually check for the latest drivers; Windows Update doesn't always catch them.

* If this doesn't solve things (and especially if the PC locks up only in specific programs or games), you may have a hard drive issue.

• Back up/copy all your files, music, pictures, etc. to another drive (you should be doing this as a safety measure on a regular basis anyway).
    • Go to CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>DEVICE MANAGER and click the arrow by HARD DRIVE to determine what brand it is.
    • Go to the drive mfr's website and download their free diagnostic software (WD Data Lifeguard, Seagate SeaTools, etc.).
    • Run a long/deep test on the hard drive. This may take several hours; you will not be able to use the PC while the test is running. Be warned: if the drive is already on its last legs a long/deep test may finish it off.

If the test shows errors or bad sectors - even if it states it "repaired" them - I would buy a new hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows and software. Don't attempt to clone/copy the old drive: any corrupted files causing the crashes will copy/clone as corrupted.

Hope this helps. :)

4. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

I did try that with the nvidia drivers and it didn't make any difference.
    I will try what you said but for a certain reason I don't think it will work,the reason being is I have another 4 hard drives besides this one and its the same problems on all of them,this is what is leading me to think its something on the motherboard if not the motherboard itself.

5. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Ok I tried this whole diagnostic thing and all my drives passed all tests,I even reinstalled one of them and it's still the same old problems????

Any suggestions????

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I think the next thing to test is the RAM. Memtest.

You might also want to make sure it is not overheating.

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Sorry this didn't work. :( The tips were based on the two most common causes I have run into when diagnosing and repairing similar issues.

To clarify the hard drive testing, it was only required for your boot drive and (if applicable) any drive containing your gaming software. If I had known you had multiple drives I would have mentioned this earlier.

8. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Tim I'm running memtest now,but how can I tell what temp my RAM is running at?

9. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Gman no big :)
    I kind of figured to run it on my boot drive first off lol

10. TimW

Memtest is to verify that your ram is not the issue. I meant that you should make sure your computer is not overheating. Make sure the fans and vents are clean. If a laptop, blow out the vents.

11. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Ok tested the mem and its coming up that my RAM is fine.....zero errors in a 40% run

12. TimW

You need to make a few passes with it.

13. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Cheers for the heads up man.

Any word on how to check RAM temp?

14. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Tim ran it about 5 times today and all came back clear,also monitered temp for a while and it runs around 50 to 58c sometimes peaking to 63c when playing a game,shutdown temp is 68c but I believe I have that feature disabled (will check later),blew out all fans ect and still getting the issue.

15. TimW

I am out of ideas and will have to defer to someone else for further suggestions. :confused

16. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

Well thanks for the attempt lol
    I still reckon I need a new mobo.....the fact its a single core can't be helping matters

17. TimW

Seems to be about the only option left. :(

18. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

It would be better in the long run anyway lol
    can you reccomend one that has dual core with an AGP x8 slot and IDE hard drive slots?

19. OMGITSANDREW

OMGITSANDREW Private E-2

I know asrock did them but it appears they have discontinued production,so finding it difficult to come across one with dual core and AGP....let alone one with IDE too

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds