Computer shutting itself down after a minute or so

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roryt2000, Oct 10, 2009.

1. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

So, my computer has been having problems for the past week or so that I suspected were due to overheating. While doing any random thing, the computer would just restart itself for no reason. Leaving it off for an hour or so would mean the computer would go quite a bit longer without restarting and actually placing a fan up to the computer pretty much stopped it from happening altogether. That basically speaks for itself. So, I went ahead and grabbed a vacuum and cleaned out all the dust I could find and set the fans to a higher level (which I've done before without any issues). Then I closed it up, hit the power button and heard a loud buzzing noise followed by nothing. The computer would not power up or show any signs of life. Turns out the power supply was dead. Why? No clue.

Today I replaced the power supply which solved that problem but I'm now experiencing another. The computer starts up and can actually go through the whole boot process no problem, but after a minute or so it shuts itself off. This happens no matter what I'm doing, whether I'm in the BIOS or have booted from the CD or anything like that. Well I opened the case once again and noticed that the fans in the front had become completely clogged with dust/hair/etc. which has stopped one of them from working altogether. For now, this is all I can think of so I'm going to get a new case tomorrow with fan filters and some new thermal paste for the CPU and see how that goes. For some reason I think it may be something else as it seems a bit strange that the computer is able to overheat to the point of needing to shut itself off after less than a minute, doesn't it? The only thing that really points to that is the varying time. Leaving it off means it stays on for a minute or so before shutting down. Turning it back on immediately after will cause it to shut down after only a few seconds. I do have three other fans in there that seem to be functioning just fine so I don't know.

I realize it could be any number of things but where do I even start? It seems my only option as of now is to take everything out piece by piece and get it replaced by the manufacturer. Does anyone have a clue as to how I can figure this out? I'm already three days behind on my work (which I can't get done on any other computer due to hardware restrictions) and I'm just completely lost here. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

It almost sounds like your CPU is overheating to the point of shutting down the computer. You may have dislodged the heat-sink and fan from the CPU when you used the vac on the MB. I would get a can of compressed air and blow off the HS and fan assembly. Other members here may have more suggestions.
    Please include the make and model of computer this is affecting.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Another point is are you using an Intel "stock HS", the newer ones have cheap and nasty plastics lugs that can bend, pop out (seem snug even with a wiggle but not maintaining a decent contact). I had a CPU die very recently because of the stock 775 HS. I would be removing the mobo and looking underneath and ensuring that the "black pin" has come through properly and is spreading the white lug. After replacing the CPU I reinstalled the HS with the mobo out so I could check underneath and then reinstalled the mobo with it all on. I HATE THEIR STOCK HS.

4. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

I'll have a look to see if it's come loose.

I am indeed using a stock Intel 775 HS, complete with the cheap plastic. When I first installed it, I could barely get it to snap in. I eventually got it (pretty much...) and it's been working okay (I think) for a couple years now. If this really is the problem, would replacing the HS be the solution or will I also need to replace the CPU?

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well you may be able to just remove the mobo, refresh the TIM and refit the current HS making sure it has a good contact again. It seems you are experiencing the overheating and thus shutdowns. When it is all back together go into the BIOS Hardware Monitoring section and look at the temps there.

6. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

Okay. When I get the new case tomorrow, I'll try that. Thanks for the help.

7. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

Okay so I picked up a new case and some new thermal compound and as I was taking the heatsink off, one of the cheaply made pieces of plastic came loose (on two corners) which means that it will no longer snap into place. I can now say that I share your hatred for Intel's stock HS.

Anyway, now I need to go pick up a new HS tomorrow. My CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q6600 (775). Will this work?

8. Puppywunder58

Hi roryt,

If I were you I wouldn't sell myself short with an inexpensive HS/Fan like that. You may wind up with the same problems you've had. Try this one instead,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003

I don't know where you're located, but look for something like it if you have the room in your new case.

9. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

10. Puppywunder58

Any one of those on your list would be better than the $5.99 HSF you looked at earlier. It's up to you to make a decision based on how much room you have in your case and how expensive you want to go. Remember that you're going to have to remove your MB to make sure it fits snugly. Take a look around newegg also

11. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

Well I should have enough room and I don't really care about the price, I just went with that because it looks like what I'm using now so I know it will fit on my MB. I'll just take a look at some reviews for the others and go with whatever is best and in stock.

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I have to agree with PW58 on the cheap cooler especially when you can get this one I will link.

I have used this as my resource base (yes that is me there as well):

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=707876

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=5&Itemid=62
    As we can see some of the Cooler Master range can be under performers.
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=266&Itemid=62

But the best budget cooler you can get from Fry's will be the:

CM Hyper TX3 Universal at only $9.99 after $10 rebate, ends on the 15/10/2009
    Why?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-charts-2008-part-2,1782-13.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/heatpipe-cpu-cooler-roundup-review/9
    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2922

Damn it still has the stupid plastic lugs.

Oh and Intel will send or source you replacement lugs cheaply or for free if you want to keep their super crappy cooler.

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Just be sure to make sure of pins going through etc as some reviews will say it can make a poor contact but most do say it is excellent value for money. Hope this i going to address your overheating and shutting down issues.

14. Puppywunder58

As usual, Bold Eagle comes through again with all the good info.

BTW, where can I get one of those "electro El Shocko rectal probes" with remote control for a noisy Pomeranian dog in my neighborhood?;););)

15. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

Ah, thanks so much for the info. I'll go ahead and pick that one up then. I might order a higher-end one soon, I just need my computer up and running as soon as possible and I'd rather avoid waiting for shipping if at all possible. This one seems way better than the stock HS though and that one has been running alright for a couple years, so this should do the trick. I'm just hoping this is the problem rather than the motherboard/RAM/graphics card/hard drives/whatever else... :(

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Modified cow prod does the trick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_prod

Well that HS will outperform the stock, is only $10 and should get you up and running so we can further investigate your problem.

17. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

Okay so I got the new HS and everything installed in the new case and it's been running without any problems for almost 24 hours now. I want to give it a few more days before I'm 100% sure it's fixed, but so far it looks like the problem has been solved.

I went with this heatsink, as it has a much better mounting solution (and no plastic). So far it's keeping the CPU temperature down quite a bit more. Also, I replaced my Antec Nine Hundred with an Antec Nine Hundred Two, and it's really nice. I was able to do a much better job with cable management and the fan filters should keep them from getting jammed with dust and stuff. It also looks really cool. :-D

Thanks so much for the help guys.

18. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Awesome and good to hear.

I always run OCCT 3.1.0 as a stability test of any system I am working on (been 3 different ones of late). It is used by the high end enthusiasts down to basic stability testing. Generally 10-15mins will give you a good indication that the system is running fine and will display a lot of graphs. But the accepted norm is a one hour run CPU: OCCT. It will make your system achieve load very quickly but then will show you how the voltages will scale over time. Very handy tool imho.

19. basilThree

basilThree Private E-2

Most probably you have a virus or trojan. Pre-install the system.

20. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

What a moronic and non-helpful response. Did you read the whole read and then come up with your ridiculous insight? Are you on a cerebral diet? That makes you come out with stupid responses?

21. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Looks like you made a good choice there roryt2000 I have seen some others with that HS and they are liking what they see. Here is a "solid" review from some mad Canucks (they do some really good stuff over there imho):

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-master-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review.html

Also you can always add a 2nd Fan. Found some good info on fans recently as well if your interested.

Hope it's doing the job for you and system is up and running :major.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds