Computer shutting itself off...

Discussion in 'Software' started by HarmonyK, Nov 8, 2009.

1. HarmonyK

HarmonyK Private E-2

I've been having some problems with one of my computers...Everytime I turn it on it starts loading windows (vista) then shuts off. Sometimes it'll turn on completely, load up windows, and I'll be able to use it for a bit, then it'll shut off again, and will keep shutting off when I try to boot it up again...

I've tried using the Vista recovery disc to no effect. I've tried installing windows 7 and Windows XP and the same thing happens each time. It will load up and work for a couple hours then shut down and not be able to boot up again...

I'm absolutely clueless as to what the problem could be and was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions.

I have not tried completely reformatting yet, because I'd like to find out if it's a hardware issue or not before I have to back up all the data on the comp.
    Thanks in advance guys.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It's most likely a hardware problem. I'd say either the system is overheating and shutting off, or there's an issue with either the power supply in the PC, or with the motherboard (primarily the capacitors). Unplug the power cord from the PC, open the case, and make sure all the system fans are clean from dust/debris and are spinning freely. If you give a fan a light flick with your finger, it should spin easily, and right when it stops spinning, a healthy fan will have a little bit of "bounce back" where the bearing(s) cause the fan spin backward a tiny bit. If all the fans are clean and spinning normally (the most important fan is the CPU fan), check the CPU heatsink and be sure it is firmly and correctly mounted. You may want to carefully dismount the CPU cooler, carefully clean the base of it and the top of the CPU should be carefully cleaned also, then apply a fresh layer of thermal grease (more info here). While you're in the case looking around, take a close look at all the capacitors. These are the little cylinders that stick up from the motherboard. The tops of the capacitors should all be PERFECTLY flat. If even one capacitor is even slightly popped (or bulging outward) on top, it is failing and the entire motherboard should be replaced.

Normal healthy capacitors look like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Leaking/popped capacitors look like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sometimes bad capacitors won't actually have the crud leaking out the top as in the pics above, but if the top of the capacitor is not PERFECTLY flat, then it is failing. Even a very, very slight 'popped' top is bad news. So, after checking all the fans and capacitors, and cleaning/remounting the CPU cooler, the problem of the shutting down continues, then we are probably dealing with faulty power supply. If you have an extra one laying around, or a friend does, or if you have a 2nd PC you can temporarily dismantle, hook up a known healthy power supply. If the symptoms disappear, then we know it's the power supply. GOOD LUCK! Let us know what happens!
    :-D

[dlb]

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Just a question or two.

Is this a desktop computer?

How old is it....I am assuming fairly new based on running Vista. Or have you done an upgrade to Vista?

One other thought is that based on the above questions, you may be having a problem with your power supply.

4. HarmonyK

HarmonyK Private E-2

Thanks for the responses guys...

Checked the motherboard the capacitors seem fine. Guess I'll have to ask around through friends if anyone has a spare psu so I don't go out and buy one for nothing.

TimW, it is a desktop computer...relatively new...bought it march of '08 already put together from newegg...recertified (possibly the answer)...these are the specs if anyone catches something that is known to be weak in there...

General Spec
    Brand eMachines
    Model T3626 - RA
    Recommended Usage Home / Home Office
    Processor AMD Sempron 3800+ (2.2GHz)
    Cache Per Processor 256KB L2 Cache
    Memory 1GB DDR2 667 (2 x 512MB)
    Hard Drive 160GB SATA II (7200rpm, 8MB cache)
    Optical Drive 1 16x DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Integrated Graphics, Up to 128MB Shared Video Memory
    Audio Sound card - Integrated
    Ethernet 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN
    Speaker Amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
    Keyboard Multifunction Keyboard
    Mouse 2-Button Wheel Mouse (PS/2)
    Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
    Motherboard
    Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Chipset
    CPU
    CPU Type Sempron
    Installed Qty 1
    CPU Speed 3800+
    L2 Cache Per CPU 256KB
    CPU Socket Type AM2
    Graphics
    GPU/VPU Type NVIDIA GeForce 6100
    Graphics Interface Integrated video
    Memory
    Memory Capacity 1GB DDR2
    Memory Speed DDR2 667
    Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
    Memory Spec 512MB x 2
    Memory Slots (Available/Total) 0/2
    Maximum Memory Supported 2GB
    Hard Drive
    HDD Capacity 160GB
    HDD Interface SATA
    HDD RPM 7200rpm
    HDD Spec 8MB cache
    Optical Drive
    Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
    Optical Drive Spec 16X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive
    Up to 8.5GB with Dual Layer Media
    Write max: 16x DVD±R, 8x DVD±R DL, 8x DVD±RW, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 40x CD-RW
    Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM DL
    Audio
    Audio Chipset Integrated
    Communications
    Modem 56K. V92
    LAN Chipset Integrated
    LAN Speed 10/100Mbps
    Front Panel Ports
    Front USB 2
    Front Audio Ports 2
    Card Reader High-Performance 15-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
    Up to 40x faster
    xD-Picture Card, CompactFlash I (CF), CompactFlash II, Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital (Mini SD), Multi Media Card (MMC), Reduced Size MMC (RS-MMC), MMC Mobile, MMC Plus, Memory Stick (MS), Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Pro Duo, SmartMedia, IBM Microdrive
    Back Panel Ports
    COM 1
    LPT 1
    PS/2 2
    Video Ports 1 VGA
    Rear USB 4
    RJ45 1 port
    Rear Audio Ports 3 ports
    Expansion
    PCI Slots (Available/Total) (1/1) PCI-E x8 slot
    (1/1) PCI-E x1 slot
    (1/2) PCI
    Speaker
    Speaker Configuration Amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds