Computer Sound System

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mdowns, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mdowns

mdowns Private First Class

Hey Geeks! :)

I've had this idea running around in my head for a while, and so I thought it high time to come and ask the Geeks. I want to set up a computer based sound system in my apartment. I am interested in puchasing a lower end computer just for this purpose. If I could do it running Linux (i.e. SuSE 9.1 Personal or Knoppix), that would be great, but if it's more advanteagous to use WinXP, then I'll do that.

Basically, I have no idea what kind of hardware I would need. I know I'll need a sound card, but what would be the bare neccessities for such a soundcard? Would it be better to run a line from the computer to a home theater system (receiver with home speakers) or would it be better to run the sound directly from the box (computer speakers)?

I'm not on a budget, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on this (my situation is probably going to change in the next 2 to 3 years, so this isn't going to be a permenant thing).

What do you say, Geeks? I'm interested to hear your ideas on this. :)

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

In my room i have my computer with a tons of music on it. I am using my 6 channel onboard audio. I bought a signal spliter, and a phono plug to dual analog adapter.

The signal spliter is pluged into my computer. The speakers from my computer are hooked into on of the splits, and the dual analog is connected to the other one. I then ran an audio cable from the analog converter straight to my receiver.

The sound is great, and i can play all the music on my computer through my stereo speakers. This is great because i didnt have to go out and buy a cd player. ;)

:cool:

cooked

3. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

For a cheap soundcard that will create a pretty darn good digital out, i recommend this:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=29-120-103&depa=0

the quality on that is very good, much much more so than the audigy, let alone onboard sound. it's a very good sound card for surround sound, so if you play games or something, you can use analog out to your ht receiver, whereas, if you play movies, you can use the digital out to the receiver.

if you're looking for quality and not care about surround sound, take a look at some of M-Audio's sound devices. I use the M-Audio transit for my laptop and desktop (it's external), and use both its stereo analog out and digital out. Both are of extremely high quality, giving the av710 a run for its money on cost-quality ratio. The transit can be gotten for around $80 + shipping.

I recommend you NOT use computer speakers, since all of them are designed for near-field listening, and most, if not all the big brand names sound like doggy poo. but if you're into computer speakers, there is one company that uses high end speaker drivers (well known in the DIY world). their speakers can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/app/searchPro...and&description=swans+speakers&InnerManu=1950. the speakers i like, though, are on backorder until the 17th, so there's a bit of waiting needed.

Since you're using your computer as a source, i highly recommend you use windows xp, since most software is designed for it in the first place... that is, unless you choose to use a mac.

Lastly, any other hardware in your computer will do. you don't need the best of the best at all. you can live well with any athlon xp and any video card you wish for. the only thing that sound is dependent on is the sound card, and possibly cpu (if yours is < 400mhz, but it won't be).

4. mdowns

Cooked, is that signal splitter something that allows you to plug in two sets of computer speakers (i.e. a 2.0 set and a 2.1 set) into on outlet?

I'll have to pick up one of those analog adapter thingys.

Thanks for your reply. :)

5. mdowns

Thanks for the soundcard advice Strogg. I'll definitely look into picking one of those up!

I kinda figured I'd have to go XP for this thing if I did it. I'll keep the Linux experimentation to another computer! :)

Also, another question for you guys: can you play music stored on another computer through a different computer? For example, if I build this new sound system computer and then network it with my current computer, which has all my music on it, can I play the music from my main computer through the network? Or, would I have to just transfer the music to the new computer?

Thanks!

6. Anon-15281db623

I have no problem playing music over my network :)

The first splitter is a Stereo Phono Spliter from radio shack.

This is pluged into my computer out. I then have my computer speakers pluged into that along with this which i have connected to my receiver with this

7. mdowns

So essentially you have two sets of speakers plugged into one jack going into your computer? Am I reading that right? A Y with on leg connected to your computer speakers and the other leg hooked up to another Y with both legs going to your stereo?

8. Anon-15281db623

Yep that is 100% correct. Sorry i couldnt put it in better words. :eek:

You did a good job of explaining it. :)

:cool:

cooked

9. MechGeek

MechGeek Private First Class

10. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I've done the same thing Overcooked has done & it works great. I done it for the convienence of having a headphone jack. This way I have the ability to adjust the headphone quality using the stereo hardware instead of just the computer software. I got tired of having to disconnect my main speakers to use headphones, as my system doesn't have a headphone jack. I have two home theater units a JVC RX-554Z ( which I use for the computer now ) & a JVC RX-6040BK ( which is used for the TV ). I used Monster Cables MP3 Starter kit thingy to send the signal to the puter. The sound quality is stunning, plus I can now listen to my extensive collection of cassettes while surfing, chating or whatever.

11. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

I've got the same setup like overcooked. Sound quality is excellent
    and I love the fact that I never have to play another audio cd.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds