Computer start-up slowed to a crawl

Discussion in 'Software' started by jlnorton, Apr 28, 2008.

1. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Hi all --

I have floated this problem by the Maleware and Hardware forums and they recommended that I post here.

The extremely short version of my problem and background:
    Last month, my (reasonably fast) Lenovo T61 start-up slowed to a crawl. Nothing was added that I know of (e.g., new drivers, new applications), there doesn't appear to be any Malware, and the harddrive seems physically fine.

A very detailed description of my problem (including various logs such as combofix and mgtools) can be found at
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1145713&posted=1#post1145713

There was also more limited discussion at
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1145716&posted=1#post1145716

Much thanks for your help and time

- J

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I didn't see where anyone pointed you towards this read me:
    Basic computer maintenance everyone should do

If the problem, isn't hardware or malware related, then it probably is software related.
    Cutting down your startups, eliminating un-needed processes, removing junk files, and a regular defragging (not too often and not too far in between. Monthly or bi-monthly, if really needed) seems to help most PC's pep back up. All that is detailed in the guide.

3. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Thanks -- I'd actually found that guide in my own digging around, however. Any thoughts for next steps?

4. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Ah -- definitely not such a strong statement. My computer is certainly running more quickly overall (in particular, it was badly fragmented). However, it is still not performing the way I believe it should be in the sense that it is much much slower than it was the day before I started having these problems; it simply should not take 10 minutes to start up.

5. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Over in the hardware forum, I detailed how long each phase of start-up lasted. It seemed worthwhile to me to repeat that information here:

0:00 - power on
    0:10 - windows splash screen starts
    3:40 - windows splash screen ends; screen goes black
    3:45 - log-into win XP appears on screen
    7:45 - full desktop shows (e.g., all icons are there)
    11:45 - computer fully operational (e.g., I've successfully started Firefox or Outlook)

Note that in answer to an earlier question, it was taking 15-16 minutes prior to running the various maintenance that was suggested, so this is an improvement in that sense, but it's very slow given that a few weeks ago it took maybe 5 minutes.

Again, thank you for your help.

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It still sounds like too many startups. What all are you running at Startup and how many processes are running when fully up?

7. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Surprisingly, not that much. Startup is:
    TpShocks
    ccApp
    VPTray
    TPOSDVC
    Acrotray
    YahooMessenger
    portbl32 (this is from my firm's doc management system, interwoven)
    VPN Client

I've copied the boot, win, and system ini into the attached text file for further information (in that order) again, not much there, at least to my eyes -- maybe I'm missing something obvious, though.)

I don't know the process number at start-up right now (b/c I don't have the time to restart my system), but there are 45 processes running at the moment and the only programs open are Firefox and Outlook.

The services list:
    Application Layer Gateway
    Apple Mobile Device
    Application Management
    Windows Audio
    Automatic LiveUpdate
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Bluetooth Support Service
    Symatec Event Manager
    SMS Agent Host
    Symantex Settings Manager
    Cryptographic Services
    Cisco Systems VPN
    SCOM Server Process Launcer
    Symantex AntiVirust Definition Watcher
    DHCP Clinet
    DNS Clinet
    Error Reporting Service
    Event Log
    COM+ Event System
    Intel PROSet/Wireless Event Log
    FLEXnet Licensing Service
    Help and Support
    HID Input Service
    ThinkPad PM Service
    Infrared Monitor
    Server
    Weorkstation
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    MAchine Debug Manager
    Net Logon
    Network Connections
    NLA
    Plug and Play
    IPSEC Services
    Protected Storage
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Intel PROSet/Wireless Registry Service
    Remote Registry
    RPC
    Intel PROSet/Wireless Service
    Security Accounts Manager
    SavRoam
    Task Scheduler
    Secondary Longon
    System Event Notification
    WindowsFirewall/ICS
    Shell Hardware Detection
    Symantec SPBBCSvc
    Print Spooler
    System Restore Service
    SSDP Discovery Service
    Symantec AntiVirus
    Telephony
    Terminal Services
    Themes
    ThinkPad HDD APS Logging Service
    Distributed Link TRacking Client
    Windows Time
    WebClient
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Automatic Updates

Again, thank you for your time and help.

Attached Files:

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Wow, that's a good laptop! Just to compare, my cheap Dell with 128MB RAM boots up in <3 minutes. Obviously something broke, have you checked device manager for driver issues and/or events, may give you an idea of where to look next. Other than that, disable your 3rd party start ups to see if any are the culprit. Also, try booting into safe mode first to see the difference, if any.

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This you could take out of your Startup:
    YahooMessenger
    This you could put on delayed startup:
    TpShocks
    Acrotray
    - I read that this is hard to remove from startup

And I see you are running Norton AV. I f you have a choice you could uninstall it (takes a little work) and install an AV, such as Avast, which would also help with your boot-up time
    I counted 61 one in your list. 45 isn't bad for XP, but 61 is alot.

10. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Safe mode is different, but still fairly slow.

I've attached my event logs in both text and .evt form; maybe this can help.

The system log shows DNSapi errors on startup as well as a paging error from the disk cache. This strikes me (a guy who knows just enough to get into a lot of trouble) as the likely culprit. However, I'm not sure how to fix.

The application log is pretty straightforward; I had a problem with Outlook this morning at one point but that's not a reoccurring event. I do notice the following error whenever I shut down the computer, though:

Windows saved user DC\LichtmanJason registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Attached Files:

11. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Ah, I mean 45 processes in task manager. Not 45 services...

But... My slow computer is a new problem. My start-up was plenty fast three weeks ago and Norton, Acrobat, Yahoo, and Shocks were all running at that point... While it's never a bad idea to speed things up as a general concept, I guess I'd be really surprised that making those four changes would cut 7 minutes off my start-up.

12. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Unfortunate, to be sure. (actually, I haven't rebooted since removing -- I was simply observing that I'd be surprised if those changes cut 7 minutes off of my start-up)

13. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

One thing I just noticed in my event log; whenever I log-on:

The Security System detected an attempted downgrade attack for server DNS/chia.arin.net. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    (0xc000005e)".

The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server DNS/chia.arin.net. No authentication protocol was available.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any idea what this could be?

- J

14. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

(incidentally, I notice that this error started appearing on April 9, roughly the time my computer started taking forever to start-up)

15. jlnorton

jlnorton Private E-2

Yes, I was able to fix this (though the problem was a little different than the one described there). Sadly, didn't solve my overarching problem. But at least there's no more error message, which leads to a visceral feeling of happiness with which I can enjoy my slow start-up ;)

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds