computer starting hard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eggamagga, Mar 23, 2009.

1. eggamagga

eggamagga Private E-2

Hey all,
    I'm having a problem starting my computer and was hoping someone could help.
    When I hit the power, the computer will start, the cd-drive will try to boot, but nothing else will happen. I was restarting it, and that worked for a while, but then it no longer would allow me to restart, so I would unplug it and try again until it finally started. I can get it to start sometimes, but it's dieing fast on me. Replacing the power supply, as recommended by some online, did nothing.
    As long as the gateway starts, it's fine, so I'm not going to turn it off for a while. Any help would be great!

Thank you

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

I was going to suggest checking the switch but you did say it would (or use to) start just wouldn't power up the whole system. From reading your post it does sound like a power issue, but you have changed the supply.. Have you had any mishaps with your computer bumping it against something. It could be a loose connection on the board.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Couldn't hurt to get Belarc Advisor and check the S.M.A.R.T. status of your HD. (Although I would think you would get an error from BIOS about your HD being unbootable but it is an easy quick check)

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

5. eggamagga

eggamagga Private E-2

I'll give it a try... Will it make my computer restart?

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

No Belarc will just run and open your web browser and display some information about your computer. No restart necessary. In the left hand column it will display information about your HD and will say SMART status healthy or bad. If it isn't healthy then you have to start looking at your HD as a possible cause of your problem.

7. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Private First Class

i have a question - sometimes when you run a pc on a computer with a PSU that isn't powerfull enough it shows these errors, when you bought a new PSU, did you buy a PSU that was the same spec (eg: power) as your other PSU? if so, you may just need a more powerfull one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds