Computer starts up at a black screen?

Discussion in 'Software' started by flamingice17, Dec 13, 2006.

1. flamingice17

flamingice17 Private E-2

Hello,
    When i turn on my computer, it just goes to a black screen, no sign of the bio's screen or windows xp screen. No flickering or anything, no indication its connected except for the fact when i unplug the monitor the screen saying there is no cable on the monitor shows up. i tried a different monitor on it, same thing happens. It is connected to the on-board graphics card. I tried removing the hard drive to see if that was the problem, no luck. Shouldn't it at least show the bios screen? I tried removing the battery without any luck hoping it would reset any bios, I tried removing the ram, no luck. Any ideas on what is wrong with it?
    System Specs:
    HP Pavilion a804n
    Intel Celeron D Processor 335 (2.8GHz)
    512mb pc 2700 DDR SDRAM
    80GB Hard Drive IDE
    CD-RW Drive
    DVD-ROM Drive
    Intel Exteeme Integrated Graphics 64mb

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. eyeblazin

eyeblazin Private First Class

Did this start after any kind of an update? Have you checked for a new driver for the video and chipset? Did you make any changes to any software? If so try to revert back.

3. flamingice17

flamingice17 Private E-2

No, it just randomly goes to a black screen, no flickering, no bio screen, nothing. i cant get to any option screen to change anything. im guessing maybe its the motherboard or processor?

4. Raju

Raju Private E-2

Yaa! I too get the same problem but after 15 minutes the black screen will be gone wsnt happend to you toooo.

5. eyeblazin

eyeblazin Private First Class

Step 7: Disabling power settings in BIOS
    If Windows was recently upgraded, Windows might be starting up into a Power Saving state and producing the blank screen before it loads. After Windows loads (about 2 minutes after turning on the PC), press the power button briefly or press the Suspend key on the keyboard to see if the PC comes out of a suspended state. If the PC opens into a suspended state every time the PC is started, use the following steps to disable Power Savings in the BIOS:
    1. Turn on the computer and press the F1 key repeatedly when the first screen appears until Entering Setup ... displays.
    2. In the Setup screen, press the Right Arrow key and select Power.
    3. Press the Down Arrow key to select and configure one of the following items depending on what appears on your screen:
      • Power Savings, APM, or Advanced Power Management - select Disabled and press the F10 key to save the settings and Exit.
      • APIC Interrupt Routing - If the PC is using Windows XP and this setting is disabled, select enabled and press F10 to save the settings and exit. Let Windows restart and set your power preferences from within Windows.
        If Windows still does not appear or you are unable to use the power options in Windows, find and download the latest BIOS update if one is available for your PC.
        Reset the APIC Interrupt back to its previous setting if problems occur.
    If changing the power setting does not work, this issue is probably caused by faulty hardware - either the video hardware on the PC (if the monitor works on another PC) or a defective monitor (the monitor does not work on another PC). The defective hardware should be replaced or serviced.
    NOTE: If you are experiencing problems with an LCD flat panel display, there are more steps that you can use to resolve your problem, if it is still occurring. Please refer to the HP support document Flat Panel Monitor Is Blank after Starting the Computer, or Power Adapter Appears to be Missing (in English).

Step 4: Resetting and updating the BIOS
    In case an item was changed in the BIOS, such as the primary display device setting, use the following steps to reset the BIOS back to its default configuration or update it if necessary.
    1. Turn on the computer and press the F1 key when the keyboard light comes on. Wait five seconds. NOTE: On certain Compaq Presario PCs prior to 2002 it may be necessary to press the F10 key instead of F1.
    2. Press the F5 key to restore the default settings of the BIOS. Press Enter and wait five seconds.
    3. Press the F10 and then the Enter key to save the changes and exit from the BIOS.
    4. The monitor should now display items received from the computer. If not, find and download the latest BIOS update if one is available for your PC.
    5. If a BIOS update was not available or the monitor is still blank, continue to the next step.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds