computer "Sticking"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nellington, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Nellington

Nellington Private E-2

Hi guys, my first post!!

Techy question, assuming it is hardware related so posting here, probably will be corrected shortly!!

I am Running a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4014 with Windows XP.
    My problem is this, when I power up the computer it freezes completely after about 5 seconds. I have tried all of the obvious, including:
    Pressing F2 (nothing happens), pressing F12 (nothing happens), using an XP recovery CDR (nothing happens) and using the original XP CD (nothing happens). I am assuming this is not windows related as it does not get far enough into the boot to start windows. To test this I removed the Hard Disk and it still freezes at the same place.

There are no error messages on the screen, it just says "Toshiba, In Touch With Tomorrow" in the middle of the screen, the Intel inside logo in the corner and the progress bar at the bottom with the text "Press F2 for system utilities or press F12 for boot menu". Next to this is a blue progress bar which reaches the same place (just before the end) before freezing.
    The CD Drive does power up and read the CD's but does not manage to open them before it locks up. When I press F2 before it freezes it says "please wait" and then freezes. Pressing F12 does nothing at all!!

So, what do I do now? HELLLLLP!!!

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello Nellington, welcome to Major Geeks.

Go to the Toshiba website and look for the Tsetup program for your laptop.

It may be able to help, if there is not an underlying hardware fault.

3. Nellington

Nellington Private E-2

You need to be able to get into DOS to run the Tsetup programme, I don't get far enough into the sequence to get into DOS.
    On the advice of the Toshiba webpage I held the "Esc" key after pressing the power on. It then comes up with the black screen with the white writing saying the RAM has passed and identifying the Fixed Disk, CD-ROM, etc.
    Again this say Press F2 to enter setup, again it just freezes and won't open :(

4. Nellington

Nellington Private E-2

Any other suggestions?? PLEASE!!! ;)

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I think this one needs workshop facilities, sorry.

6. Nellington

Nellington Private E-2

Doh!! Tha't not good. I'm in Afghanistan at the mo, not many workshops out here :D

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

It's clearly looking for a device/connection that has stopped functioning.

About all you can do is to put or take out all the other removable cards you are able to. For a laptop the list is not long but might include,
    LAN connections, PCMCIA cards, internal memory modules, internal wireless modules, and funnily enough printers and other usb gadgets.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

9. Nellington

Nellington Private E-2

Thank you :)

10. Nellington

Nellington Private E-2

I think this laptop must be on the way out. I powered it up again and now the screen doesn't work!! Grrr. :cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds