Computer still slow after malware removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by TrocN98, Aug 24, 2009.

1. TrocN98

TrocN98 Private E-2

Hello all!

I was wondering if I could get some help with making my computer faster and some info on different tools.

My computer is still rather slow. I ran the malware removal as instructed and was told my logs looked clean.

Is there any way someone can review the processes on my computer?

I've began to research on my own and disable/delete some unnecessary startups based on bleepingcomputer.com's list of stuff you don't need and their database as well. I have CCleaner on my computer and have been running it daily just to see what it comes up with.

I have downloaded "Process Explorer" and some other programs to help with this but I do not fully understand exactly what to do (safely).

I see CCleaner - Slim recommended a lot and I was wondering if that is the same thing as "CCleaner". It looks the same to me. Is there something that I can use to show a log of current process and stuff saved to my hard drive that someone can review and tell me what to delete or fix? The help would be much appreciated.

I have "killed process" on some things that are starting up after disabling them through Process Explorer. Wasn't sure if that was what I am supposed to do. I downloaded Uniblue's Registry cleaner thing and it said I had 604 errors that needed fixing but I had to purchase the product to fix them. Apparently CCleaner did not fix these issues? Is there anything "free" I can use to fix these same problems?

I'm kind of stuck right now because I don't want to delete the wrong thing and would rather have someone experienced tell me what to do or point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch! -Trevin

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi Troc, first of all dont worry about those "problems" uniblue found, it, along with most of those paid reg-cleaner-magical-performance improvers are mostly useless at best and harmfull at worst, forget them.

As for the items you have running, well, go to run and type "msconfig" then go to the "start up" tab and list or screenshot all the items there.

Also some spec's on your system would help too.

One thing that would help you aswell is to un-install any programs you dont use... google them or ask in here about any you are unsure of.

I also recommend using a good de-fragger, i use raxco-perfect disk, i believe they have a free trial, so give them a go if you have only been using the windows built in defragger.

Also what AV, anti spyware and firewall app's, etc, are you running?

Q

Edit: just to be clear ANY PROGRAM that says you are infected or damaged and then asks for money before it can fix it, should be avoided at all costs!

3. TrocN98

TrocN98 Private E-2

its windows xp profressional 32 bit on an hp laptop from 2006

i can give you more specs when i get home tonight. im at work now

i have superantispyware free, malwarebytes free, spybot s+d, ccleaner, mydefrag, that ir_spyad program that blocks bad sites.

i need to figure out what anti-virus is best for me and firewall is currently windows which is also because i havent decided which one to go with

4. TrocN98

TrocN98 Private E-2

Ok here are the actual computer specs:

XP Professional Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Hp Intel Core 2 CPU
    T5600 @ 1.83 GHZ
    987 MHz, 512 MB RAM

on an HP COMPAQ nx9420

and apparently this comes with an Athlon AMD graphics card x1600? or something?

I don't know much about that. lmk if theres any other info you need.

I am going to uninstall superantispyware, malwarebytes, and the registry cleaner that you have to buy.

I have MyDefrag the latest version for disk defragger. I've ran it a couple times recently.

Still need to get the best full version free antivirus program and firewall.

I have spyware blaster but to my understanding it and Spybot are like the support programs and I'm only supposed to have 1 full antivirus/malware remover.

What do you suggest? What is the best free one? The best "pay for it" one?

Also, if I do buy anything, can I install it and use it to its fullest extent on both my desktop AND laptop? Just curious.

Before I use the standard process viewer and let you know what's running are you sure you don't want me to post what comes up in process explorer instead? Let me know. Thanks!

5. ~Q~

Ok Troc, your a little low on ram, so you can't expect super performance, if you can afford it upgrade if not don't worry, i've ran 'puters on less ;)

Now with low RAM PC's keeping processes running down to a minimum is essential, so you need to get a list of whats running , thta explorer log should do fine.

As for you Security app's, i would un-install them all except "MalwareBytes'" and "Spybot'".

However it is fine to have as many "ON DEMAND" scanners as you like, but you must not have any of the "REAL TIME" monitoring that nearly all of them offer, as that would clash with your AV.

I've never heard of your defragger so i will give you the same advice i give all people, try a different one and see if it is any better, you can always go back :)

The best FREE AntiVirus is [IMO] Avira....
    http://majorgeeks.com/Avira_AntiVir_Personal_-_Free_Antivirus_d955.html

The Best paid AV [IMO] is Kaspersky and they have a free 30 day trial........ (make sure to get the AV and not the "SECURITY SUITE")
    http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/trials

My favourite Firewall is Comodo......
    http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

Now about this
    If it is hardware and it is compatible then i dont see why not, if it is software it would depend on the license, it is most probable that yu would eb allowed to have it on either and change as you wish,
    but not on both at the same time, tis impossible to say for sure without seing the EULA.

Q

6. samtal

samtal Corporal

7. ~Q~

The Majorgeeks download of Comodo is not the latest version, you should go to their site via the link i posted to DL if you choose to go with Comodo firewall.

Also: if you go with Kasperky you will have to uninstall Spybot.

Q

8. TrocN98

TrocN98 Private E-2

thanks for the suggestions.

here is the log for "process explorer"

as of right now.

let me know anything else you need.

i got the "mydefrag" from this site under the suggested disk defragger's in the "basic computer maintenance" sticky.

i know nothing about purchasing additional RAM or what RAM is best for this laptop, and i would have no clue how to put it in?

9. ~Q~

Hey Troc, i can't see any log?

10. TrocN98

TrocN98 Private E-2

D'oh! My bad.

Here it is.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds