Computer Stuck At Intro Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirittoo, Mar 22, 2012.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:waveI'm trying to install an OS (XP Pro) on a old computer with an old HHD first I tried a Maxtor I thought was good ... at least it was when I took it out of the computer I worked on ... it would boot up and go into the windows install set up ... then it would tell me it can't find the hhd. I put a WD drive in ... it has data on it, but it was not use as a master drive. Now when I boot up I can't get past the gateway screen. Can't even get into the bios. It just sits there ... any one know what the problem is?:confused

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I'm not sure I understand the problem. You have two HDD's in the machine? You said it was Old Computer and Old HDD so I will assume IDE. Are the Master/Slave jumpers set properly?

If that is not the case, Are you sharing the ribbon the CDROM is on with the HDD? If so, it is still probably Master /Slave jumper issues. If your not sharing the ribbon then perhaps the HDD is attached to a ribbon that needs the jumpers set to Cable Select.

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

If this is your board [​IMG]

Then you have sata and satas do not need jumpers.only ATA needs jumpers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds