Computer Suddenly Slow!

Discussion in 'Software' started by jde0503, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jde0503

jde0503 Private E-2

Dell Latitude D810
    Windows XP Pro SP3

I recently had a problem installing MS Office Ultimate 2007 with Accounting. First, to uninstall my trial version of MS Office Pro 2007 I had to use Your Uninstaller.

The Ultimate package comes with 2 disks, the first containing: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Publisher, Groove, Outlook, Access, and InfoPath. The second disk contains: Business Contact Manager (don't want) and Accounting. The first disk installed all of its programs great. The second disk, on the other hand, started trouble. When you install Accounting, Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005 is also installed, but for some reason when the SQL server was being installed the whole setup failed. Can someone tell me why so I can install Accounting?

Now every time I start my laptop up I get the following message for SQL Writer: "SQLDUMPER library failed initialization. Your installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with. Please uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem." Is this related to the failed Express Installation?

On top of it all my computer that normally starts up and everything in seconds is now taking a few minutes for all of my desktop icons and noptifications to show.

Also, since installing MS Office Ultimate the icons in my notification area are rearranged and some are missing.

Can someone PLEASE help me put my computer to what it should be? That is, can someone help me fix everything?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

SQL Server is needed as basically Accounting is like a database and may need SQL, but its not the full SQL but the client frontend and thats all you need for Accounting and Access.

In Add/Remove what SQL entries do you see? items should start with Microsoft SQL Server .....

Also check Service for this one Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer, if you find it set it to disabled, so we can uninstall without issues.

I would be tempted to uninstall Office and Accounting and the SQL Server listings if even only partly installed from Add/Remove, then use this tool Windows Installer Cleanup to check for any listing of Office, Accounting and SQL Server and remove.

Then run CCleaner and its Cleaner and Registry tools, run the registry one until no items are listes for removal.

Also check this KB article HERE to manually check for any left over files, folders and registry entries.

My reason for doing the above is that some leftovers from the trail version could have messed up the full retail install and install of Office Accounting.

Then make sure your in the admin account and install Office the main DVD first and reboot, if all ok then install Office Accounting and see if that helps.

3. jde0503

jde0503 Private E-2

In ADD and REMOVE PROGRAMS 3 different SQL programs are listed:\
    • Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
    • Microsft SQL Server Setup Supported Files
    • Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer

I don't know if during the failed installation of Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005 any of the Express components got installed (will it show in ADD and REMOVE PROGRAMS since Express didn't completely install?) because I only recieved the error message after the failed installation.

First: How do I get rid of the error message and the problem behind it?

Second: What can I do to get SQL Server Express 2005 installed? (I can attach the logs from the failed installation, if necessary)

Third: Where would I download the SQL programs after I uninstall them? Are they free?

Fourth: What do the SQL Servers actually do? What will happen when I uninstall them?

Notes:
    • Accounting WASN'T installed because SQL Server Express failed to install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds