computer taking REALLY long to startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by plabs, May 11, 2008.

1. plabs

plabs Private E-2

I have noticed my new computer is taking FOREVER to start up compared to my old laptop and my really old desktop. I have windows vista home premium on this and the other two are running windows xp and take almost 1/10 the time required to startup. When i go to advanced tools it says that

Name: "Symantec Service Framework"
    Filename: "ccSvcHst.exe"
    Publisher: "Symantec Corporation"
    Date Reported: "Mar 22, 2008 3:52 PM"
    Time Taken: "50.00 Seconds"

I am well aware that is probably from Norton 360 I had a while back, but I uninstalled that a while ago so I am not sure what the problem is. I have tune-up utilites and nowhere in the startup manager does it says anything from symantec.

I probably wont get back to you guys until tomorow but please help me.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

3. plabs

plabs Private E-2

Yes I also used the norton removal tool but im gonna use it again. Ill also try CCleaner.

4. Akumos

Akumos Private E-2

You can scrap CCleaner (although it's a great tool) and type msconfig after clicking start. Stop things opening that you don't use under 'start up'.

5. plabs

plabs Private E-2

Ok here is a list of what is in my startup under msconfig
    hpsysdrv Application
    KBD
    RAID Event Moniter
    HD Audio Control Panel
    Logitech Setpoint
    NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 162.30
    NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display Driver, Version 162.30
    NVIDIA Media Center Library
    ESET Smart Security
    Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Logitech Setpoint

i dont see anything to do with symantec in there but if anyone can tell me what i should disable i would appreciate it

6. Geohen1

Geohen1 Private E-2

Hi Plabs,

I work with Symantec, makers of Norton.

You're right to say that you may need to run the Norton Removal Tool more than once. It wouldn't hurt to run it maybe even 3-4 times if you're still having problems.

Or, alternatively, if this doesn't work (which it should) you can manually remove all of the shared components and registry keys. Although it may be best to walk through that process with a live support technician, I can point you to the proper directory locations. Or, you could try the registry cleaner of your choice.

Cheers,
    George Henderson
    --
    Norton User Discussion Forum: http://community.norton.com/norton/?category.id=nis

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you have that listed twice in msconfig?

8. plabs

plabs Private E-2

Well it did before but now theres none. I have 2 logitech setpoints. I also have like 3 nvidia ones,
    NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 162.30
    NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display Driver, Version 162.30
    NVIDIA Media Center Library

Also in CClean it says I have a startup entry but all it says it HKLM:Run, everything else is blank.

Maybe my computer is just supposed to boot up slow or something? i dont really mind it because it runs excellent after if you need my specs or anything here they are

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ
    Memory 3 Gigs of ram
    NVIDIA GeFore 8500 GT with 1520 MB of memory
    I also have like a 720 Gb hard drive (well it was avertised as 720 but its actualy a 335 + 325 = 660) I also have a 150GB external hard drive and a 30Gb ipod video both plugged in whenever i boot up, could this be a problem?

I also ran norton removal again just to be sure. Im pretty sure that norton isnt the problem anymore

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds