Computer to TV Streaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cctaylor88, Oct 29, 2012.

1. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Private E-2

Hey guys! First post here, I hope to be a long time active member...this is a pretty basic question and I hope for good results!

I want to stream media from my computer tower (located directly next to my television) to my HDTV. The problem is this...I am currently running dual monitors and the 2 slots that come out of the back of my graphics card are taken up (one slot for each monitor). I used to have an HD cable running from my tower to my TV when I ran one monitor...but I don't want to sacrifice dual monitor viewing. Is there another option, for instance is there some sort of 2 to 1 adapter I can plug into one of the tower slots that will allow a monitor plug in as well as a tower to TV cable?

Basically, the two slots that are HD capable in the back of my computer tower are occupied and I don't want to sacrifice dual-monitors. How can I run HD from my tower to HDTV to have my TV show whatever is on the computer monitor?
    I currently have win xp but this shouldnt matter

Thanks in advance.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

3. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Private E-2

Awesome, thanks so far. The gpu I purchased was a beast and its only about 1.5yrs old so I wont buy a new card but thanks for the link. So how does this hdmi switcher work really? Is it as simple as switching/activating what I want from monitor to TV for instance?

4. Rikky

Yup you switch the switch and the computer will detect the new display and turn it on and the other will turn off,basically it's exactly the same process as unplugging one monitor and connecting another via hdmi.

There are lots of different versions of these,you don't need to get one with a remote there are simply manual switch boxes but that's up to you:)

5. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 Private E-2

What about this device? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186196

There are 3 "in" and 1 "out". Does this device require direct connection to my gpu? If so..I would assume the "out" slot would be from the switcher to one of the gpu slots? I can then have the other gpu slot dedicated to the main monitor and then one of the "in" device slots could go to the TV?

These seems like its the beginning of a solution but still confusing

6. Rikky

That's fine.

Hdmi doesn't have input or output communication happens both ways, you can connect your computer to the output and your TV and monitor to input 1 and 2.

7. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

8. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

They do make HDMI Y splitters or another suggestion a WD TV box, that way you don't have a monitor being used to display the video to the TV, you can keep both monitors on the PC and use the WD to stream to the TV. WD TV cost $100 at Best Buy, last I looked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds