Computer Turns Off When Playing Games

Discussion in 'Software' started by aetherdemon, Feb 16, 2011.

1. aetherdemon

aetherdemon Private E-2

I am having an issue with my computer turning off while playing games.

Everything else works just fine, but when i boot a game up it will play for a few minutes usually and then the entire computer just shuts off.

I am sure air flow isn't a problem because i have sufficient fans :/

Sorry if some specs are missing as I'm a newb. Just let me know if you need more info and I will do my best!

Windows 7 (build 7600) 64bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 512Mb
    Memory : 4gb
    PSU 500w

Also have a cooler master cpu cooler attatched

Thanks for any help you can give, guys!

Also, I don't know what help this may be but sometimes I can turn the computer back on right away. and sometimes I will have to wait a few minutes before booting up again

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

What you describe does suggest a heat issue even though you believe you have enough fans. I suggest running GPU-Z to monitor your graphics temperature before shutdown: http://majorgeeks.com/GPU-Z_d5796.html

Have you looked at the Windows event log to see what events are recorded at the time of shutdown - report these back here.

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

This supports the heat theory.

What motherboard do you have? My main gaming rig was acting just as if it was over-heating a couple of months ago, and it turns out it had a serious BIOS glitch. Basically, when my CPU hit 65C, the BIOS thought the CPU was actually at 95C, and in panic shut off the whole system. Very annoying. BIOS update fixed my issue...

...it might not fix yours, but taking a look at the motherboard never hurts. :)

4. aetherdemon

aetherdemon Private E-2

The last temperature reading from the gpu was at 67 degrees before the shutdown.

I opened the event log, but I must admit that I am unaware of what to look for. From what section should I pull data?:confused

Also, my motherboard is a Gigabyte EP43-UDL, hope that is a help

5. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Look under system events and look for errors or warnings at the time of shutdown. Similarly look under application events.

Have you looked at the computer manufacturer's website for BIOS updates for your motherboard?

Also, check the device manager http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Open-Device-Manager to see if there are any exclamation marks against dvices.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Will need the correct model version as I looked over at Gigabyte to see if any of the BIOS udpates for that model would cover a temp reporting issue, but thre is no model called UDL, there are some UD3L models but would also need to knwo the version of the board used, on the actual motherboard is the model name as in EP43-UD3L and either next to that or under is will be a version number like V1.1 or Version 1.1 etc

Can follow the below exactly and attach as described a log and this will tell us what model you have and best of all the BIOS version too.

7. aetherdemon

aetherdemon Private E-2

Ok, here is the text file from speccy.

Also, I will run a game a little later today and when it shuts down, I will post the results of the event viewer.
    Everything was fine in the device manager if I recall correctly after a couple days.

I appreciate the help you guys are giving me.
    Hope we are one step closer :)

Attached Files:

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cheers on the info, your motherboard is a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L and all drivers and info HERE for reference.

You have the latest BIOS update in F9 so the ones I was thinking of that cured any problems, incompatabilities and issue are rolled into this one.

Yes do attach as you did with the speccy log a text file with any Event Viewer errors, that will be helpful.

Also what case do you have and could you describe the position of the fans you have and the direction the air flow is from each one?

Plus what is the CPU and other temps of your system, your GPU as you already mentioned the temp is ok for a GPU, but I would like to know the others as its possible the CPU or Motherboard could be causing this, especially if the airflow direction is causing dead spaces of warm air near a temp sensor.

9. aetherdemon

aetherdemon Private E-2

I just had another shutdown, but I'm a little confused as to just how, and particularly which Event Viewer logs I should save. :confused

Also, is there a program you would recommend to log those temperatures at the time of shut down?

As for the case, it is a NZXT Lexa S.

There are two 120mm intake fans, one on the front-bottom of the the case and another on the side of of the case. There are also two 140mm exhaust fans on top, as well as another 120mm exhaust on the top-back of the case. Also, there is a 120mm fan on the cpu cooler, but I don't know if that counts or not.

Thanks again for the help thus far :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds