Computer Will Not Boot; UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Discussion in 'Software' started by papertrail, Oct 25, 2009.

1. papertrail

papertrail Private E-2

When I try to start the computer, I get a message saying "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to the computer. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME."

Technical information: STOP: 0X000000ED (0X896FE30, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

The computer is a 6-year old Dell Inspiron 5100 running Windows XP 3. I have the Reinstallation CD Including Service Pack 1 but the computer will not boot from the disk.

I would like to recover files from the hard drive if possible. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Please note: I am not a computer techie by any stretch of the imagination and will need detailed instructions in layman's language.

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185 Scroll down the part about repairing the volume.You will need to be able to boot from a Windows XP CD, and it does not have to be the one used to install XP on your computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds