Computer Will Not Turn On

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbbco, Aug 21, 2006.

1. bbbco

bbbco Private E-2

Ok, here's the deal:

I had to update my motherboard back in May, along with my video card and chasis. Everything was well and good until one day in July, my roommate was playing LotR: BfME and all of the sudden it just froze. Nothing happened whatsoever, I tried everything. So, I resorted to a hard reboot. Next thing I know it won't boot up. Nothing happens on the screen.

So, I took the compy back to the shop that I had worked with before to get the new mobo and such, and after some testing they claimed that my mobo (socket 478) went bad, so they got a new one under warrenty. Next thing I know I get a call from them claiming that it was not the mobo, it was my processor. Evidently a bad chip, though I have been using it for the past three years (P4 3.0ghz, 800fsb, HT).

So, because I really had a hard time finding an affordable chip for the 478 socket, I found a deal on newegg that gave me an AMD mobo and chip combo. So, I just got it and replaced it tonight. I hooked everything up correctly, and hooked the external parts up. Nothing on the screen happens, though all the lights and fans work fine.

I tested my monitor by hooking it into an old laptop, works perfectly.

I do not get a POST beep until I just have CPU, RAM, and IDE1 (CD / DVD drives) hooked in, yet still nothing on the screen when I turn it on (the new mobo has onboard video, I have tested with both my video card and this). The beep is just a regular one beep.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

bbbco

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

First thing, clear cmos, either by jumpers if you know which ones or by simply pulling plug on power supply and removing m-b- battery for a few minutes, i guess your ram may not be compatable with your new board, and possibly your power supply. ide 1 or primary is for your hard drive, secondary is for dvd-cd rom. ed

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You are getting a proper beep for the post, so would just have cpu, ram and hard drive (attached to last connection on the primary ide cable) and onboard video plugged in ....nothing else ...see if it fires up.s

4. bbbco

bbbco Private E-2

Tried both of those suggestions, and still not much to go on. I did get it to beep a few times in one configuration, but nothing on the monitor no matter what. Could it be a power supply issue? It's running over 200 watts...

bbbco

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I think you need to borrow another power supply, just use cpu, ram and power supply, with onboard video . This will get you into bios[post] if them parts are compatable. You dont need the hard drive or cd rom hooked up to see if it post's. ed

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Multiple beeps is a sign of problems ...we just want a single beep ...and a 200 watt is pretty underrated ...unless all you have is one hard drive, one cd-rom, and maybe a video card (not agp) .....add another hard drive, another cd/dvd-rom, ethernet cards, usb devices and that 200 watt is going to slowly crap out ....you could probably smell it ...or see some brown crap afound the fans.

7. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Additionally many newer mobo's have a second power connection (4 pin I think). I ran into a similar problem and it took me a bit to figure out there was a second power connection.

Odd are that is not the problem tho - but it is always good to explore all options.

Good Luck !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds