computer will not write to either dvd writer

Discussion in 'Software' started by sable51, Feb 5, 2006.

1. sable51

sable51 Private E-2

Hi, (hp 763n, xp home, 2.53 ghz, 512 mb ram, 80 gb hard drive w/25 gb free)I have a problem that I am not sure if it goes in the software or hardware section. If I am in the wrong section, then I apologize.

My computer crashed after a disk frag. With the help of some of you regulars on here, I was able to get my computer back on its feets more or less. I appreciate all of your help. For my current problem...I have not been able to write to either of my dvd/cd writers. My external one (hp dvd640) will read but will not write. My internal one (hp dvd200j) won't do either one. When I try to write, I get a message to install a blank disk, which I have done several times.

I have re-installed drivers, have updated software, and changed blank disks to no avail. The device manager shows as everything okay (at least there are no yellow or red flags). Both dvd drives show up under "my computer" I do have both Easy Creator and Record Now on my computer but I prefer use Easy creator. Easy creator will not list my external drive at all, but will list my internal drive, but will not go through the burn process.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Diane

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

go to your device manager, click on view and select show hidden devices, look under non-plug and play drivers and see if there is a driver called starforce, this is copy protection that can screw up drives, also make sure you have the latest drivers.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

How are both devices listed in Device Manager? In addition to splitt3r's advice, you could delete both devices in Device Manager and reboot. Windows should find them both and install the necessary drivers.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds