Computer will only start in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ankou, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Ankou

Ankou Private E-2

I know there are a few threads on this already but each one is a bit different and most of them are depending on what some system files include.

I'm using windows vista and a few months ago I was getting a blue screen with a driver problem, I was able to bypass it by using a usb thumb stick. (just plugging it in before start up). it worked fine. but my computer shut off one day without warning and when ever I start it up in normal mode it showed the loading bar then a black screen and I hear the start up tones but the screen stays black. I can start it up in safe mode and I have ran a few virus scans and cleaned the system but with no help. I don't know entirely how to get the system files to show you for help either. I would just pull all the programs off that I need and redownload the operating system but I don't have the disc anymore. Can anybody walk me through a way to fix my computer?

2. Ankou

Ankou Private E-2

I am at the moment performing malware removal just incase it is the problem

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

4. Ankou

Ankou Private E-2

but dont I need the disc? which I stated I have no clue where it is even as I moved and went through all my stuff I didnt find it.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

That would be something to do when all else fails.

Please refrain from giving such generic advice.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

Try using F8 to get to the SafeAdvanced Mode options.
    On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Enable low-resolution video (640×480), and then press Enter.
    See if it boots into normal mode.
    Then right-click a blank area of the desktop and choose Screen Resolution. Is there one resolution that has recommended next to it? If so try that one and see if it looks Ok. Then try and reboot and see if it starts in Normal mode.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds