Computer won't boot - black screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by jnnfprs, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jnnfprs

jnnfprs Private E-2

My laptop has a black screen at boot up. I amrunning Windows xp sp3. I have hooked it to an external monitor to attempt system restore, but can't get there. It won't boot up with any of the options - safe mode, last good, etc. Is there any way to bring this pc back to life? I don't have the startup or restore disk - bought it used and it didn't come with any. Also tried taking the battery out and just plugging it into ac power. Same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I'm confused. You are telling us all this extra information and we just need the basics right now.

Can you see anything on the external monitor when you hook it up?

If not, you could try removing ram (unlikely) but your options are VERY limited if you have a black screen because the video card or motherboard might have failed making it a paperweight.

Try booting from a Live Linux CD maybe.

3. jnnfprs

jnnfprs Private E-2

Sorry it's just so frustrating. When I hook up an external monitor, I get the screen that gives me the options for several safe modes, last good configuration, and start windows normally. I have tried them all, but windows never loads and it goes right back to that screen. I have spoken to someone that says it is probably a virus. Any ideas?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

First thing, what is the manufacturer & model of this laptop. Second how old is it. Third, if you have a good CD or DVD drive in it, can you boot with a Linux boot disk, or use a USB to boot a Linux Active image, so that you can tell that it will boot into any OS.

If at this time, the computer is not showing anything on the LCD, will not boot into the OS image on the hard drive, there can be a multiple of problems, and sorry to tell you this, if the system is over four years old, it is better to replace with a newer model, than sink more into this one.

If you want to attempt the inverter repair for the LCD, it can be done. Is it worth it, maybe, maybe not. In my opinion, if under a year old, let the manufacturer take care of it. If over two or three, get a new unit.

If the hard drive is bad, yes that can be replaced, but you will need the restore discs for the OS that is installed, and bad thing is, you can end up losing everything on the hard drive, unless you can salvage it off.

If it is not the hard drive, but the hard drive controller chip, go back to step one of suggesting to replace the whole unit.

I went with a Netbook vs. a actual laptop, due to I do not really use the dvd drive, which the only time it does get used, is in a system restore. Battery life is longer on the netbook, and it is no problem typing on the keyboard for the one I have. Cost wise, about $300 for the netbook, another $60 for 2gb RAM, and $30 to go from Windows 7 starter to Windows 7 Pro.

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I had one that would boot to the same black screen,safe mode etc. and nothing else.I could reinstall,it would boot from cd,,that's it. Never fixed it , I was told to get a new HD, which I had to do. No problems now! Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds