Computer Wont Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdickerson713, Jun 22, 2008.

1. jdickerson713

jdickerson713 Private E-2

When I power up my compaq PC nothing happens except the fans continuously run. Ive replaced the motherboard and yet again, i get the same problem. I cant get to the bios to do anything. Ive tested the hard drive and there is nothing wrong with it. I was told to remove the modem and try to boot, but that still does not work. Any Suggestions? :cry

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Unplug power cord, open the case up, remove the battery from mobo for 5 mins, short the 2 pins next to the battery socket with the tip of a ballpen or pencil for 10 secs if they exist, put battery back in, plug power cord in, power on, tap DEL or whatever key is on screen for SETUP/BIOS, load defaults, save & exit.

3. jdickerson713

Nope still no luck :( Do you think it could be the Processor?

4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

If there is any light or fan activity, it may not be faulty parts. Incorrect bios settings can cause the pc to not post at all.

You can also try reseating everything & leave the pc unplugged & cmos being cleared for a day.

5. jdickerson713

There is light and fan activity, but nothing after resetting the CMOS and reseating everything on the mobo.

6. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Typically the first thing to go on OEM pc's is the cheapo power supply, and since they are usually proprietary you have to get one from them and pay a 100 bucks for a 20 dollar supply. Putting in another motherboard, unless its meant to go into your OEM computer, could be a problem. The power supply may not be wired correctly for the new board. Compac and HP are well known for changing their wiring to force you to buy parts from them. So a new power supply will not necessarily match the old mobo or a new mobo may not match the old supply. With the supply you can compair wire colors and their positions from old to new to tell if they match, but that doesn't work for a new motherboard.

7. jdickerson713

Still No luck with this PC. Ive tested the PSU and it works perfectly, the motherboard is OEM. My only guess would be the CPU itself.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds