Computer Wont Boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by glybot4, Jul 24, 2005.

1. glybot4

glybot4 Private E-2

Recently I had a problem with the Oneclicksearches malware and I had run a few scans and i didnt delete anything. I went to reboot the computer to put it in safe mode and it just stuck on the HP Invent Screen that appears before the machine begins to boot up. I noticed the light under the power switch blinks for about 2 seconds and when it goes off the computer freezes at where it was. In this 2 or 3 seconds we have hit F1 and got the bios screen to show up but as soon as the light goes out, it freezes there too.

If anyone could lead me into the right direction as to what sort of problem this may be? I did a search and i keep finding power supply issues. My machine has power. I also checked the plugs inside and out are firmy seated.

machine specs:

HP Pavilion running windows XP PRO
    1.4ghz athlon
    40gb hd
    geforce mx 4000 vid
    512 mb ram

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

You need to go into BIOS and disable the HP Invent splash screen. Without an error mmessage it is very hard to diagnose your problem. Once the spalsh screen is disabled you should be able to see any error messages generated by the system.

3. glybot4

glybot4 Private E-2

I would do that except that it freezes on the bios screen. it runs the specs and says

entering setup....

and it just hangs there.

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Open the case, pull the CMOS battery out. Let it set for at least 10 minutes before you put it back in, then reboot. See if you can get into the BIOS.

5. glybot4

glybot4 Private E-2

Removed the CMOS battery for 10 min. Still doing the same thing.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

OK, put your Windows CD into the CD drive and see if it will boot from the CD.

7. glybot4

glybot4 Private E-2

Tried the windows CD upon boot in both of my cd drives and it still does nothing.

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Can you download the Windows XP Startup disks, and see if you can boot from floppy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds