Computer wont let me do system restore

Discussion in 'Software' started by cigam0102, Feb 24, 2011.

1. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

It says it needs a system restore and it wont let me do it. I've attached a log that may or may not be of any help!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What is the os? Please explain what you mean. Is there no restore point? Can you not activate system restore? What exactly happens?

3. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

I believe that's what you're looking for, I copied it from the report.

It gives me points(dates) to restore to, but then comes back and says couldn't restore, try another date, then same thing!

Thanks for your reply!

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Not untypical. What are the issues you are having that are requiring you to do a restore?

5. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Typically, when system restore says the restore was not successful, it means that too much has changed for the restore to get the system back to a known state.

Why did you need to do the system restore? Maybe it's something we can help you with doing without doing a restore.

6. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

Sorry! Still a little new with this, forgot to say I had had a problem with getting this computer running(that was fixed thru another thread) then once I got it up and running it came up with a message that said a major problem has occurred and you need to do a system restore! That's when I tried to do it!

If there is another log report you need me to do to give you a better idea of whats happening just let me know which one it is!

Below is the thread where I got the computer up and running.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=230212

Thanks again for the replies!!!

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Possible that the driver was corrupted for the caed when it was removed then reinstalled?
    sach2 might know more about this area.
    Check Device Manager for any yellow warning flags, just in case.

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Here's another thought, try Dialafix from HERE, this has worked just often enough for me to give it a go.

Also, you need to get yourself updated to SP3. Are the automatic updates turned on??

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

XP's System Restore was always a little buggy, sometimes it worked fine a few hours or a day or two after failing several times in succession.

Try this.

10. cigam0102

cigam0102 Private E-2

Sorry I haven't posted this earlier!:-o

But here goes, I ended up doing updates that where recommended to me, including SP3.

What I did do was after installing all the updates etc. and SP3, I downloaded AVG and scanned, after getting rid of most of the junk that they do for free it said I had like 700+/- registry errors, so I ran their pc tuneup and took advantage of their one time free registry fixing program.

That seemed to work really good!!:celebrate

After that I tried to defrag because of all the adding, replacing and cleaning of the system!
    Windows wouldn't let me, so after some research I found, auslogics free defrag download!!

It worked fantastic!!!!:celebrate

So after that it seems to be performing great! We have been using it and my son has been very happy with it!!:clap

I just wanted to post this cause I hate to see an open ended thread if it is possible to post how the problem was fixed so it may help someone in the future if they have a similar problem!!

Thanks for all the help everyone does in this forum to help me and others!!:clap

Later!!:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds