Computer won't recognize all drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoreOxide, Dec 24, 2006.

1. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Private E-2

Just took my friend old IDE drive, and plugged it into mine. Now, my PC doesn't show not just the new drive, but all other IDE devices as well.
    I have two IDE connections on the MOBO - one white, and one red. My CD-ROMs are connecter to the white one (which is for CD-ROMs as far as I know), and the "new" hard drive I connected to the red one.
    Now, my SATA drive is set as master no matter how I connect it. My CD-ROMs are set Master\Slave. The new HD does not appear both in Slave and Master modes, and coses all other IDE devices to disappear as well.
    BTW, I can see all of the devices at BIOS, but neither in Windows.

How should I connect my devices in order for windows to see them???

P.S.
    When I unplug the HD, I get the CD-ROMs, and when I unplug the CD-ROMs I get the HD...
    I figured there must be a conflict between the Master\Slave settings, but I have no idea of how to resolve it...

2. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Private E-2

Anyone?

3. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

I'm just trying to picture the set up if your mobo and IDE connections. Is this IDE drive a hard drive, and are you connecting it to a cable with another hd connected, or does it also contain a CD drive. They say (whoever they are) that it isn't good to mix optical drives and hard drives on the same ribbon cable.
    Will it show up if you set the jumper to cable select ? Sometimes, it's a case of trial and error to get things to work properly. Another thing which sometimes causes problems is the label on top op the drive can occasionally be upside down, so the actual jumper settings are the reverse of what they appear to be. Also, the positioning of the drives in the cable can make a difference too. Some people say the master should be the closest to the mobo connection, others say it it should be the slave.
    I suppose one way to try would be to disconnect all except your SATA, then add the drives one by one, and assuming each one works, add more until you get there.

4. repugnance

repugnance Private E-2

Im not sure if this will help but you can try going into computer managment via administritive tools on the control panel and then disk managment, the drives may be recognised but not assigned a drive letter. if this is case just give them a drive letter an then see if windows recognises them

5. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Private E-2

@ 12quidkidinnit:
    My HD is on a separate cable than my CD-ROMs. I will try all the thing you have suggested and see if it helps. Thanks!

@ repugnance:
    My drives don't show there, they are not recognized by windows at all.

6. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Private E-2

Couldn't find the edit button so, I'll just make a new post...
    Anyhow, I solved my own problem :)
    I set my SATA drive as Primary IDE Master, my IDE drive as Secondary IDE Slave, and the CD-ROMs as Master and Slave on the secondary IDE channel.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds