Computer Won't Run Any Video Card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mantrid, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Mantrid

Mantrid Private E-2

Well, My system is a Amd 64 bit 3200+ , 1024mb 3200pc sdram , Ga-K8nnxp Gigabyte mother board, 40 gb western digital Harddrive, a JGE 450x Power supply--

The Video Card is A Xfx Nvidia 6600GT (AGP). Yes it is plugged into the power and has work flawllessly for the last year.It is seated correctly, the cord is attached.

Here's what happened:

Last night I played a lil WoW, shutdown. Went to sleep. Awoke this mourning and computer boots fine, recognizes everything goes into windows start-up screen..

I hear the familar windows opening chime. but my monitor turns off..as if the setting of resolution is too high. So I try a different monitor, same thing happens, perfect boot, monitor shuts off.

Turn off start in VGA mode, starts fine. Try to up to 800x600...nope monitor shut's off. ???

Restart- VGA-Mode- Uninstall all Nvidia display drivers...Restart..normal mode- boots fine, can increase to very high resolutions at 16bit or 32 bit.

Go to Video Cards website, get current drivers and install-reboot normal mode----Monitor shuts OFF! can hear windows boot fine.

Anytime the drivers are installed, both 2 versions I have tried and I boot to VGA mode it works fine until I try to go above 640X480.

------------REFORMAT Windows Only Drive+Install Fresh Xp Pro-------------

Lather rinse repeat all above steps after fresh install and same effect.

Throw in my old Video Card and it still has the same effect. I even update my monitor drives, reset cmos, turned off hardware acceleration, still it will only work in higher resolutions when all graphics drivers are uninstalled.

Don't know what the heck else to try.

2. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Get a new mobo? Actually, if you can get a hold of another computer try the Vid card in there. It kind of sounds like your board may have gone bad though. Make sure the agp slot doesnt have dust in it.

just a few thoughts. good luck

Destructo

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

go into the BIOS> advanced chipset features > turn on/off "fast writes".. and while your there you might check "init display" and "side band addressing" and disable all cacheing

4. Mantrid

Mantrid Private E-2

I can't find any of those options in My Bios, its Award Bios, dated 9-8-2005, so its recent but I dont see any controls for fast write or chaching any where. Do you mean the video card bios? Cause I don't know how to enter into that. I think my motherboard is screwed but I dont want to spend the $$ unless IM sure thats it.

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Ok..goto advanced BIOS features > and make sure init display is set to AGP .. you might also try forcing agp 8x by setting Flexible AGP8x to 8x but I would recommend setting it to auto.

You can also set those in the display properties > settings > advanced .. I'm a little fuzzy right now on how nvidia layout is, but cycling through the menu you should be able to find it. But this method isn't as good as using the motherboard controls.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds