Computer won't shut down only restart-XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by zx2max, Mar 27, 2010.

1. zx2max

zx2max Private E-2

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I just put in a new hard drive and installed Windows XP with the Toshiba recovery discs that came with it. When I try to shut down computer, it restarts instead. It will also restart when I click on hibernate. Any ideas?

2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Do you have Roxio?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311806

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I believe Toshiba's have their own power schemes. You should see if you can adjust those settings.

See if this works to shut down:

Brute-force a shutdown. The command:

shutdown -s -f

typed into the Start/Run line or used as the guts of a batch file will tell the OS to force (-f) a shutdown (-s) even if some software or driver doesn't acknowledge the termination command.

For more about "shutdown" command options, go to Start/Help and Support and use "shutdown" as the search term, and under "Pick a task" select "Shutdown."

4. zx2max

zx2max Private E-2

I tried the shutdown command but computer still restarted after shutdown. If I just hold down the power button, the computer will shutdown but that doesn't shutdown Windows properly.

5. zx2max

zx2max Private E-2

Sorry motc7 no Roxio installed.

6. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Try updating your BIOS

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds