Computer wont startup normally: 2 beeps...

Discussion in 'Software' started by damedic_mt, Feb 5, 2011.

1. damedic_mt

damedic_mt Private E-2

Hello Forum, really appreciate you guys!! :wave

I am not sure what "Type" of problem this is categorized as?

What I am experiencing with this machine is: at startup (whether cold start or restart) the computer will not startup normally. This is what happens, a black screen comes up & the wording is too quick to read but the first line is:
    • Initializing Intel Boot Agent
    Then that irritating 2 beeps is heard followed by the following screen:
    I then press F2 and all starts up & acts normal from then on, I think? :confused

Really would like to know what I can do to correct this, especially if there is a problem that needs fixing.

Thanks & hope all have a great day!

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If this is a desktop then it looks like it is a problem with the mouse.

Make sure it is firmly connected. See if there is any change.
    Try booting with no mouse. See if there is any change.
    Reconnect mouse and boot. See if there is any change.

If you still have the error try another mouse so we can determine if it is a bad mouse or something wrong with the mouse port.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As sach2 suggests--The two beeps are the initialisation error beeps- hence the error code following that.
    As I have only a few minutes today- I suggest the following list might solve your problem- try one at a time--
    If you have updated something ,lately it could have affected it- then system restore might help.
    If you have used a system cleanup tool, it could also have affected it- some have a restore facility -if so you can go back with that.
    I would suggest that you enter the Bios and LOAD FAILSAFE DEFAULTS , then press f10, and -then y , or, enter, to see if that will correct it
    Another point
    If you have your disc (XP, OR, WHATEVER) You can click start, and type in :-
    sfc /scannow (Note the space after sfc.)
    and let the check for replacing any corrupted files run (a little long box will appear and a blue line slowly crossing as it checks and replaces any bad files-
    (Note, you may have to go to windows update to update some files , later, after doing this)
    Also worth trying is to click start, and type in CHKDSK /R - this often corrects faults .
    Check in device manager on the mouse- try uninstalling, restart computer.
    Good luck- you are in good hands with sach2, otherwise

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. damedic_mt

damedic_mt Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, I will try these suggestions.

Just to let you know:
    • This is a Desktop
    • The Mouse is a wireless
    • The unit that sends the signal is USB - Microsoft

Question just for clarity, as baklogic suggested,
    Will I type this into the box after clicking - Start, then Run?

Thanks

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Chances are its looking for a ps2 style mouse, if you dont have one, ie your wireless one probably hooks up with usb, and everything else in windows works normaly, then we need to figure out which bios option to reset to disable that warning, thats probably worth investigating before resetting your bios and other such steps. Nothing in windows would cause your bios to beep, so dont try those options as this is a bios warning, and bios happens completely before windows loads.

6. sach2

The warning is a BIOS warning not a Windows warning. If the mouse works in Windows you don't have to do anything in Windows.

Did you just switch to the USB mouse or had you been using it without warnings. Does it work in Windows?

7. damedic_mt

damedic_mt Private E-2

Hey guys, thanks for your input, I truly appreciate this.

This is a fresh install of Win XP Pro, then updated to SP3.

Prior to the fresh install (reformat) , I was using a ps2 mouse.

I also did install: CCleaner, SAS, & MBAM. I did run them, including the registry portion ccleaner. But those would affect the Windows portion correct, not Bios?

I hooked up this one (mouse) until I am ready to place this computer back in its nesting place (where the ps2 mouse & ps2 keyboard might be used once more). I'm sure you know the drill, all of the cords are run thru holes in the desk, follow particular paths, & to unhook & remove them is just a major hassle! So, I just use some extra cords, mouse & keyboard. And it is all set up on my kitchen table until ready to put it back. (the monitor is extra as well)

BTW - The mouse & keyboard are receiving the signal from the same usb pod? Whatever that is called. Or is it the other way around the mouse & keyboard send the signal & the pod thing is a receiver? Anyway...

Ok, I think I understand, I am to halt doing anything in windows as was earlier suggested in the first posts? I haven't done any of 'em yet. So, I will just wait for further instructions. Thanks.

8. sach2

The Bios is a simple program that runs only at startup and just identifies the PC hardware and then sends that information to Windows so that Windows knows how to proceed.

Most Bios' will give an error if there is no keyboard attached because it is so critical to running a computer. I've never seen a Bios that gives an error when it does not find a mouse so I am unsure if that error message can be disabled or which setting has to be changed. I would assume if Bios is programmed to give an error when it doesn't find a mouse then there is a setting somewhere to disable the message. Having to hit F1 at each boot would be rather annoying.

Post the model of your PC [might have to look at the white tag on the back of the case to find the model number] and I'll take a look to see if a manual lists your BIOS options.

If your USB mouse works for now in Windows and you are considering going back to the PS2 mouse you can just hit F1 and know that there is no real problem. Bios is just telling you that it isn't seeing a mouse and asking if you want to attach one.

9. damedic_mt

damedic_mt Private E-2

Hey Sach, your kwik responses are great.

I totally agree, presing F2 each time is so annoying.

I would like to find a solution to this if I can, & if I could use a mouse that is not ps2, would be good too.

Here is what I have:
    • IBM ThinkCentre
    • WinXP Pro, SP3
    • P4 - 3.0 GHz
    • Model# MT-M 8189-43U
    • SN - KCDV9N8
    • BIOS Type = Phoenix
    • System BIOS Date 04/07/04
      Video BIOS Date 05/10/02​

Hope this helps!

10. sach2

I haven't been able to find any screenshots of your bios menus.

Your BIOS is rather old and an update may fix the issue since there was a change to the ps/2 mouse menu at some point soon after that PC was released. Bios updates can go wrong so it worth considering other options since it is not definitive an update is necessary. There are no clear dates as to when updates were released so I can't tell if your BIOS version includes the ps/2 mouse update. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-60538

One option would be to look for the BIOS setting to disable the ps/2 mouse as colemanguy has suggested. That would be safe and only have to be changed in the future if you needed or wanted to use a ps/2 mouse. It wouldn't effect the USB mouse being recognized by Windows. It looks like there must be an option somewhere in BIOS to disable the ps/2 mouse because the update is described as follows:

It is just a matter of finding that setting in BIOS and changing from enabled to disabled. Take a look around the BIOS menus, maybe under devices, for some reference to ps/2 mouse and try changing it from enabled to disabled.

Others have resorted to just connecting a ps/2 mouse to the PC and leaving it behind the computer or connecting a USB to PS/2 adapter to the mouse connector to trick BIOS into thinking there is a mouse attached. [The USB to PS/2 connector doesn't seem like a bad idea if it really works--although clumsy it would jog your memory in the future if you needed to connect a PS/2 mouse where as re-enabling the PS/2 mouse in BIOS might be something you could have forgotten about a year from now. ]

11. damedic_mt

damedic_mt Private E-2

Good Evening Sach-

That was it! Thanks.

I went into BIOS very cautiously, and I did locate under "Devices" (I think it was) and there was a line for ps2 mouse. It was highlited as "Automatic". As I scrolled thru, (via spacebar) I found the suggested setting as "Disabled". I then saved & exited. I then restarted.

Booted right to the desktop!! Success! :clap :dancer

No more annoying lag to press the F2 to get it to the desktop.

Thanks for your help & ColemanGuy -- Thanks!

I really did not want to mess with the BIOS, I have heard some bad stories when trying to update that! I am glad I did not have to do that. I probably would have tried one of your other ideas, which were pretty good.

Have a great week! :)

12. sach2

Thanks for the update and you have a great week as well! :)

I'm glad you found the setting as navigating the various BIOS settings and keystrokes can be confusing. Luckily, you are always given an option to "exit without saving" if you are unsure and can go back and try again with a bit more confidence.

Just remember you will probably have to enable the PS/2 mouse option in BIOS if you switch back at some point in the future. Not a big deal just something that you should be aware of.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds