computer won't turn on..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aeonv, Jul 19, 2010.

1. aeonv

aeonv Private E-2

i'm sorry if i'm reposting the same situation as others...

but, my boyfriend's computer recently had a rogue antivirus (antivir system pro) and it wouldn't let him open up IE or anything so he turned the computer off and now it won't turn back on. you hear it starting up but then it goes silent. the lights turn on and stay on. the whole time this is happening, the screen is blank.

can anyone help?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Make/model of machine? OS? He may be able to get into safe mode or, failing that, the BIOS to boot from a DVD.

3. aeonv

aeonv Private E-2

:/ all i know is that it's a dell. windows xp.

he can't get into safe mode either.

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Here's the site I use for instructions to access the BIOS;

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

If you can't boot into normal or safe mode, you will have to change the BIOS order to boot from CD/DVD first.

Before doing this, I would open up the cabinet and reseat, (plug-out/plug-in), the connections to the HD, the RAM boards, and basically any connection I could.

If you can't even access the BIOS, then I would remove that little silver battery you see there, wait 30 minutes, and reinsert.

And, yes, it could be the Power Supply as well, but I don't have much experience with this.

5. aeonv

aeonv Private E-2

thank you brandypeppy. we will give this a try.
    thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds