Concerning CPU Temps!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stubby, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

I'm running an AMD 3200+ (Barton w\400FSB) coupled with a ThermalTake Volcano 12 Extreme HSF and AS5 as the thermal compound. Thanks to the P180 case I was able to increase the CPU fan to around 3800RPMs and still kept the noise level of the fan to a minimum, as opposed to my old case, which, at that level, would drive you crazy!! Anyhow, I'm getting CPU temps (measured by Everest) at around 44\45c at idle and around 50 to 53c under load (games). I know that probably isn't too bad for a 'Barton,' but is there any way I could maybe reduce the temps alittle more? Granted, with the old case, I was at about 48 to 50c idle and close to 60c under load (measured by Everest also). I was considering a new HSF (Zalman) but since I just purchased a new SATA HDD, my 'significant other' won't go for it, and I don't blame her!!:) So I have to work with what I got, any suggestions? THANX!!!!

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

What cooling methods do you currently have in your case, i.e. case fans, cable ties etc?

It's surprising what tidying your case can do, giving it a dust etc.

Those temperatures are fine, but I still think you can go lower if you have sufficient cooling within your case.

3. nickwsu

nickwsu Private First Class

Maybe try zip-tieing your cables out of the direct path of your fans and make sure your computer is not sitting near a heater or anything.

4. Stubby

Thanks for your replies. I have the 3 120mm fans that came with the case, and then added another 120mm fan to the front, running on low speed. So, all-in-all, I have 4 120mm fans plus the CPU fan. I'm using rounded cables for the floppy and CD Rom drives and they are out of the way of all the fans. The HDD and PSU wouldn't play in the heat factor because they are both in a separate compartment and sealed off from the MB area and cooled by a 120mm fan. My HDD temp is 27c. The cable from the HDD to the MB is just a slim SATA cable. As for the cleaniness, well once a week I remove the 2 front 'dust screens' and clean them and clean the interior (both compartments) with canned air. I know that may be overkill, but I like a clean machine!! As for the placement, it's sitting out in the open and about 3 feet off the floor and not near any heat source.

5. nickwsu

nickwsu Private First Class

Yeah, sounds like you got all the free techniques down pretty good. I myself just recently purchased the Zalman HSF (socket 775), and I usually am in the low 40's and low 50's under load. I dont exactly have any temps from before I got the zalman to compare becuase I used everest which gave me a false temp. but I have no complaints about it. Cost me $40 and has an adjustable fan rpm so you can turn it down to be more silent or turn it up if you are going to play some bf2.

6. Stubby

Well, I'm a bit of a 'neat freak' and, like I said, I love a clean computer!! Granted, I DO go overboard sometimes but, what the heck, it keeps me out of trouble!! Well, most of the times it keeps me out of trouble.:) Still, thanks for your suggestions and your time, I honestly do appreicate it!!! That goes for you too Mcadam!!! Thanks!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds