configuration for 2 cds, master, slave, 2nd?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mightyfinedancy, Mar 28, 2005.

1. mightyfinedancy

mightyfinedancy Private E-2

Could someone please direct me...I'm running XPwSP2. I have the HD cable attached to MB and Zip drive, Floppy to MB and my old cd and new cd-r/rw running to MB on same cable. I know I need to set the jumpers on the units but, to what and how should things be set up in the BIOS/CMOS? Both units run fine alone but when connected together I get the "atapi incompatible press F1" at startup.
    TIA
    Glory

2. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

Theres a couple of things you could do... the first option assumes the following:

1) your motherboard was made after somewhere around 2000
    2) your cable connecting your periphrials to the MB has a black, gray, and blue connector on it.

If these things hold true than simply do the following (if not scroll down):

1) Find your jumper settings guide to your drives (sometimes its actually physically on the drive, other times you have to go to the manufacture website and search for your EXACT drive and get the jumper settings)

2) Once you have the jumper settings set BOTH drives to "Cable Select" jumper settings whatever that may be. (cable select simple detects where on the cable the drives are and automatically chooses which is slave and which is master based on the fact that the end plug is master and the middle plug is slave)

3) Plug the Master device into the end plug (I believe that's the black one but not positive, just keep in mind that the BLUE connector goes into the motherboard)

4) Then plug your slave device into the middle connector on the ribbon cable (I believe this is the gray connector)

5) And again the BLUE connector goes into your motherboard into one of your IDE slots (preferably the IDE secondary)

6) Plug all power cords back into each device and your all set
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    IF Your motherboard was made before 2000 or 1999 somewhere in that area or if your cable does not have the colors of a blue, gray, and black connector than you probably don't have the capability to use the cable select feature. If this is the case do the following:

1) Again get the jumper settings charts whether it's off the drive itself or if it's not there search the serial number on the manufacture website and get the chart there.

2) take whichever drive you choose to be the master. Jumper it according to the chart. and plug into the end connector (there SHOULD still be a blue connector but I am not positive. If there is Blue will always go to the mother board. If all connectors are the same color than the two connectors closer to one another will be the master/slave connectors)

3) Jumper your second device to be the slave again, according to the jumper settings. Plug that device into the middle connector.

4) Plug the blue end (if not blue the furthest away connector) into the motherboard.

5) connect all power cords to the devices and you should be good to go!

3. mightyfinedancy

thank you mblock, obviously, I have a pre 2000mb and I'll try your second suggestion. the newest cd-r/rw is set to cable sellect so I'll change that.
    let ya know what happens.
    Glory

4. mightyfinedancy

Thanks Mblock, that worked. However, I'm still getting the " Secondary Slave Drive atapi incompatible press F1 to resume". Don't I need to make adjustments in CMOS and/or BIOS to fix it? Additional system info, I've got a Zip and a floppy.
    Thanks again,
    Glory

5. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

Hmmm.... well I know that you have the CD-Rom and burner in master slave config.... how are all your other drives hooked up again? like Hard drive... floppy and zip... which ones are cabled together and which ones are not and which slots on the Mother board are they plugged in ect. did you end up putting the CD-ROM and burner set up on the IDE Secondary? meaning that that error message is refering to them? Because that message is refering to whatever devices are on the IDE secondary

Also do you know what kind of motherboard this is just so I might be able to find an actual picture of the motherboard so I can see the set up of the ports.

But aside from that message are all the devices working? or does that error keep something from working?

In the meantime I'll think about any settings in the BIOS you might need to adjust but I really don't think there are any... at most I could think about wouldn't be anything other than simply navigating through the BIOS menu and look at the boot order and on a SOYO board theres a SOYO Combo feature where you can look at every device plugged in but if we're just talking about two CD-ROM drives there shouldn't be much to need changed in the BIOS. But don't worry we'll try and get this squared away lol

6. mightyfinedancy

Me again! OK...
    Global MB (8-2-01) "wnty. not valid if removed" sticker
    IDE 1 from MB to HD to Zip (end)
    IDE 2 from MB to Slave CD-R/RW
    to Master CD (old one at the end of the cable)
    Thanks
    Glory

7. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

Hmmm I am not sure what to make of that as long as all the jumpers are right and stuff... I might have to think on this one... in the mean time you might try posting a NEW thread with this problem (since it's just been you and I goin back and forth we may have more luck with a whole new thread called like slave/master problems or something like that) and lets see if we can get someone else's opinion on this.. in the meantime I'll think about it

8. mightyfinedancy

Thanks, will do. Thanks for getting me this far!
    Glory

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds