Configuring Multiple routers with a single NetModem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Victornous, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Victornous

Victornous Private E-2

Can one Network Modem(with one LAN port) be configured to act as a default gate for 2 or more Routers(with DHCP server enabled in each router)
    Such that users can choose to connect to any of the routers without any problem depending on which one has clear signal?
    a detail information on the above with simple example could be of great use thanks

Victornous

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think the simple answer to this must be no - unless your LAN is wireless, users would have no way of knowing which signal was the strongest. Even then, actual data throughput may be higher on the router with the lowest signal.

3. Victornous

Victornous Private E-2

Thanks for your contribution,
    my main issue is like this, we have an office that's connected using VSAT network, the IDU(net modem) is connected to a Dlink DES 1024D Switch, some computers in the first flow are using static IP address and the rest of the client are connected using one Dlink router that's upstairs(with DHCP enabled), all the LAN computers are using fix ip address, those clients who are down stairs are facing problem of low signal, i have one Linksys Router, that am planning to connect on the switch to save the first flow WLAN clients' poor signal issue.
    the question is can This two routers that are am planning to connect them through the switch(one is already connected and is working) work without any IP conflict?,
    if they can conflict, how about configuring the first router to begin its DHCP server support from client eg 192.168.1.50-100 and setting the other one to begin from 192.168.1.111-150

NB according to my knowledge of wiress network eg, if you are working in a place with many access point once you are connected to one, the DCHP server will assign you some automatic IP, and once you disconnect from that link and connect to another link, that new link will assign for you another automatic IP according to its DHCP server setting,
    i didn't try this options yet, i still need some suggestion from the Major Geeks

thanks
    Victornous

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

You shouldnt be using routers at all except for your gateway. everything internal should be a switch or a wireless access point. Yes, you can set your dhcp scope to assign addresses out of the scope of your first router, but you shouldnt be setting your network up that way. theres no reason to route one internal ip to another and as DBS said, you dont need more than 1 dhcp server on your network.
    switches will help if youre having problem with attenuation. if its wireless problem with low signal, you should use a wireless access point.

5. Victornous

Victornous Private E-2

Thank you all for your contribution, am not going to use the other router but may be buy a larger external antenna or an access point though its going to be an extra cost, its not worth risking the whole system.

Victornous

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds