Configuring Sygate Personal Firewall What to allow and what to block??

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogvalcox, Nov 7, 2005.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Trying to learn some more about configureing SPF...

Should I allow, block or Ask for the following services/apps...

LSA Shell (Export Version)
    NT Kernel & System
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    Application Layer Gateway Service
    NDIS User Mode I/O Driver

I'm kind of thinking that these are common services for windows xp but I just wanted to look for a little reassurance, being that there are sooo many illegitimate things out there that mask themselves as legitimate!!

Thanks for the help!!

Roger

2. Flushed

Flushed Private E-2

No problems with all of those as far as i know.
    Just make sure you have your system fully patched up and updated as there was a problem a while ago with LSA Shell (Export Version) and a worm that found a vulnerabilty in xp.

3. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Currently running spf with an ME os (no giggling) all those seem to be acceptable or allowable entriesin yours--mine is all the way stripped to my kernel core ,avg ,firefox.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Those are all find and dandy. But, who cares what the name is. You MUST find out the CORRECT path and CORRECT name of the file for each.

I have seen malware call itself svchost.exe, but located in the WRONG path.

Typically, those are fine. But, I typically check the DETAILS section, and make sure.

This is just my humble opinion.

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Thanks guys/gals!!

Sorry I took so long to follow-up, but been extremely busy lately!!

That was kind of the answers I was expecting...but just looking for a little re-assurance!!

Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds