Configuring what services i want on boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by mastergamer185, Feb 14, 2005.

1. mastergamer185

mastergamer185 Private E-2

Hey all, can anyone tell me how to set my computer to boot the way i want it ? I want to have the option of booting normal or for gaming. instead of running msconfig rebooting and running my games then when im done having to run msconfig and reboot again to be back to normal. Back in the old days i had figured out a way to have the option 1. normal or 2. gaming before my computer ran windows. that way i could have only the services and startup items i wanted running when i played games then when i was done simply reboot and pick normal and everything was normal again. Sorry to repeate myself i just tried asking one of them tech support people from my computer manufacturer and he didnt have a clue what i was talking about. If anyone can help me please shoot me an email to mastergamer185@hotmail.com

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish either, I don't think creating multiple HW Profiles would be what you need. Please provide more info as to what services you want/need to disable....it might be a better option to leave the the 'startup' configuration as is and then go to START > RUN > services.msc > OK and stop the particular service that you don't need running in the background, that way if you make a mistake on your next boot things would go back to normal. ;)

Normally you could always disable certain services that are not needed by most people, depending on what programs you have and even more importantly what other devices you use with your PC, some of the services could also be disabled, for example if you do not have a printer connected to this PC then you do not need the spools service(spoolsv.exe) from starting/running at all. For standalone PCs the Messenger services should be disabled as well (Messenger.exe) not to be confused with Windows Messenger application (msmsgs.exe)....the examples would continue if I had a better understanding of your needs.
    Also there are great free programs such as SafeXP and for gamers GameXP that automatically modifies the services for you.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You should be able to create multiple hardware profiles. (Even a batch file should work)

Take a look at Black Viper's site for Service Configurations and settings. (Assuming it's XP)

4. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Hardware Profiles are used simply for using/not using certain hardwares and their applicable device drivers, not services. Also I reviewed BlackViper's site, mostly he provides decent info but some of the info is not accurate or applicable to everyone, at least the info in the services section. Each person's setup could be different depending on how they use the system, applications, internal devices and (if any) attached peripherals.
    Again, it would not be side to suggest anything on this type of subject without knowing what the user in question needs/wants but as Black Viper suggests, it is better to modify services one at a time to be able to tell what caused it, should there be any problems after modifying it.

Please re-posts and give more info if you need further help, in any case good luck to you. ;)

5. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

The only way I'm aware of doing what you want is to dual boot the computer, one OS for gaming & one OS for 'regular' stuff.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds