Conflict, Malware, or Failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by Frankly Confused, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Frankly Confused

Frankly Confused Private E-2

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=164092

Above is my thread from the Malware Removal team they suggested I move to here. I was infected by a misleading application I had Trojan.vundo, Trojan Zlob, and maybe vertimundo. Etc.. I should have written them down and studied them but I followed the software and cleaned that way. I ran so many different virus software scans it would amaze you. Then I did a System reformate and Recovery Loaded up Norton and My Internet and download speed to Guild Wars did not get better. I assumed it was IE7 causing the issue, so I downloaded Fire fox 3 to a CD and did a System Reformate and Recovery. Well I loaded Fire Fox and Internet is better sometimes and not other times. Guild wars is constricted Low download speeds Starts at 200 range and quickly drops to 50 then down to 20 back and forth or disconnect. All I really run for protection is Norton Internet Security 08. Running live updates sometime stalls as well and fails. I had problems updating Super antivirus when working on the logs and then I had to disable Norton and they update went smooth. I am at my wits end on what I need to do.

Help please

P.S I see posts about Windows updates causeing internet problems? I did not remove anything as directed. I was not sure if I should in my case to to it or not. (see other attached thread)

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

You need to check that Norton Internet Security 2008 is the only antivirus program installed and the only firewall installed.

A PC can only have one antivirus program installed and only one firewall.

You can, however, have several antispyware programs installed as long as only one of them have realtime protection enabled. In this case Norton Internet Security 2008 should be that one program with realtime protection enabled.

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

By the way: as a paying costumer you are entitled to support from Norton/Symantec.

4. Frankly Confused

If I had more then one running would the hijack/combo fix log show it? I have only added what was asked of me by Malware removal guide on this site besides Norton. I have gone to Norton’s Forum site and was helped (before all the reformats) to download a special Trojan Vundo remover. It worked after 3 attempts. Well the system performance did not change after that. I tried to no avail to get more help waiting 4 weeks, but no reply. They are good if they know what you need fixed. But not when it is questionable for problems. I selected Norton as firewall as default on install. I believe that Windows Firewall is shut off but I will double check tonight when I get home. I guess I am going to make sure Guild Wars is not being blocked by the firewall but I seem to initially connect fine? It’s just the downloading that starts the problem. Can a Firewall cause this? Any other suggestions checks? When running the network test and diagnosis from Windows XP. (Basic auto ping tester) I get some DCHP server fails sometimes. When I originally was struck with the problem I called my ISP and went thru the modem check and settings they say it is ok on there side. It was a light switch problem no problem malware infection and then Internet problems.

P.S. Norton did suggest to go to the pay preview portion of there help site. (this is a last resort for me) Broke as a joke... Double Day Care... OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Yes, but you can't keep all the malware removal programs once you're done. When your PC is clean, the removal tools must be uninstalled. Most of them, that is - some of the antispyware scanners can stay, if you prefer. What is "Super antivirus" anyway? You just wrote that you installed a program by the name, "Super antivirus".

6. Frankly Confused

It was

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
    http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 07/09/2008 at 04:00 PM

Application Version : 4.15.1000

Sorry bad Abbrivation

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Games are not exactly my turf but the guys in Majorgeeks Games Forum knows all about it. Link here.

Perhaps your download from Guild Wars homepage was corrupted. A reinstall of the game could be the answer. I don't know much about Guild Wars - the site is a clean place, right? No malware there?

Also it could be about drivers. A game like Guild Wars probably requires updated drivers and yours would not be that after a complete reinstall. That basically sets your PC back in time to factory settings. It's not just the drivers. Each and every single update you ever made on that PC is gone now.

So: you should definitely pay Microsoft Update a visit right now. You need IE5 or later for that. IE5 should still be installed since it is undeletable no matter what you do. Look in the "All programs" list - Click the Start button -> point to "All porgrams". Link here. And also visit your computer manufacturer's drivers download page for more updates. A reinstall of all the updates you've ever made in the past. Actually.

Also this is the link for Majorgeeks Drivers Forum.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  8. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Another thought: the latest version of your game could require the latest version of Java which is just a few days old. Visit Sun Java's scanner to check your version.

1. Run a scan here but don't download any new Java yet: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    2. If old Java program(s) is detected go to Add/remove programs via Start -> Control Panel and uninstall all old Java version(s)
    3. Run this special tool to get rid of the remains of old Java: http://prm753.bchea.org/JavaRa.html
    4. Now install the new Java version(s)
    5. Reboot

You should also download Secunia PSI RC3. It will always keep your PC updated and right now it would be extra useful for you

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds