Conflicting IPs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pompeylol, Apr 10, 2009.

1. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Basically, i'm running a wireless router for 2 pc's and the past week or so both pc's keep disconnecting for 2-3seconds then reconnecting again. Doesn't seem much of a problem but 1. it's annoying and 2. me and my brother both play games and when it disconnects it resets the game.

Strangely though it disconnects for 2-3 seconds then reconnects itself automatically.

By coincidence just as i was playing my game i hit the windows key and went to my desktop and i saw a windows message pop up in my desktop tray..
    [​IMG]

Do you think this is the reason why both of our computers are disconnecting and reconnecting? Ifso, i don't see why it would've only just started doing this because i've not installed anything recently or changed any software/hardware settings on either of the PCs.

Thanks for help, if you need any additional info i can do.

2. NEOKing

NEOKing Private E-2

Is your wireless encrypted, if not I would suggest encrypting it. If it is encrypted check out the DHCP lease information make sure that your computers MAC's correspond to the lease table if they don't someone else may be on your network.

A quick solution to the problem would be to set your computers for static IP's.

But I would look into the possibility of your network being compromised. If it is, change your encryption keys.

3. pompeylol

pompeylol Private E-2

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I forgot a little while ago i reset my router and when i reinstalled it i forgot that it doesn't prompt me to security settings (yes baffles me too) so i set a new PSK and encrypted it and it seems to be fine.

So, just for other people that get this error message and you have this modem;

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=272220

Than you need to enter your routers settings; http://192.168.2.1/

Then you can make your own PSK (Pre-shared Key) for you and the other users on your network that are going to use the internet.

Thanks again guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds