Confused a bit....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Artha_Penn, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Artha_Penn

Artha_Penn Private E-2

Ok...im confused on something here.. I have an intel core 2 duo system, and am running a router with my internet connnection so i can play my xbox 360 on internet as well, however, recently ive begun having trouble. Sometimes I cannot get onto a web page with a browser. I open a browser like normal, and nothing loads..but my internet to my xbox is fine. it has done this even without the xbox connected. Not sure why. but it fixes when i reboot then does it again later. please help.

2. okietechnician

okietechnician Private E-2

experiment and see if you can browse with the modem connected directly. If so then maybe some kind of setting is off in the router. I'm guessing your xbox connects wireless. Sounds like maybe the wired connection only is where the problem is at. How long have you had this setup? And when did it start, immediately?

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I would add one thing to what okietech said. Check your CAT5 wire from your router to the offending computer. Worn or poorly made wires can cause intermittant network problems.

4. Artha_Penn

Artha_Penn Private E-2

It started about two or three weeks after i had this setup. I run both connected to the router, so i dunno. Xbox 360 is not wireless, but wired up to it. its even done it while xbox was not turned on. not sure why. and sometimes during that time i can't click on some programs on bottom right list near clock on the computer. I'm guessing cuase they freeze due to what's going on. But when i reboot, it fixes for a while.

5. okietechnician

okietechnician Private E-2

Just a while guess. Maybe you have to many apps opening up on startup. It's very common, especially among new pc users. Lot of times apps will config themselves automatically to open at boot-up. This in turn will cause your system resources to run low and then will cause the computer to do odd things. Just a guess though. I don't let anything auto open except for my antivirus. Two places to look is in your startup folder under your start button> programs/startup folder. You can delete those and will cause no problem. Also look at msconfig. Type msconfig in the "run" window and you will see a tab that says startup. Any items you don't really need you can click it's box to disable it. This in turn will increase your available resources and memory. Only other thing that comes to mind is your ethernet adapter. Maybe the driver needs to be updated or simply reloaded. Pc's do odd things :)

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

It is not advisable to use msconfig to control what opens on startup. Use a start up manager such a StartUpCPL or even CCleaner now. They both provide a back up should you need to revert back to the original settings.

7. Artha_Penn

Artha_Penn Private E-2

Well, I did say that, rebooting the computer fixes that internet browsing problem, so i dont think its my startup things. mostly i just have instant messengers and my Anti-Virus thingys. and i close down most of that stuff that i dont need as i can. i probably will take some off of the startup that i dont need but i dont think thats the problem as when i reboot, it fixes the problem for a bit.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

When it next happens, before you reboot, open up Task Manager and take a screen shot of the Processes Tab so we can see exactly what is running at the time. Post up the screenshot here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds