Confused about all the Firefox versions

Discussion in 'Software' started by ccn, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ccn

ccn Private E-2

Which Firefox is the latest and how would someone know which one to pick?

Thank you

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Which Firefox is the latest and how would someone know which one to pick? <<

If you already currently have (any version) of the Firefox browser installed - it is actually very easy to update to the very latest version currently available...

You may do so by Right-Clicking on the taskbar (on top of the window) and choosing Menu Bar. Then after the menu bar appears; click on Help and then About Firefox.

The 'update' window will appear. Then, after the download is complete restart the browser and you are good to go. This will insure that you have the very latest version of Firefox installed. ;)

Good Luck -- COMP

4. ccn

ccn Private E-2

Thank you very much guys. Is there a reason for picking one over another ? are they different in features?

5. ccn

ccn Private E-2

I just missed the edit by a minute so i'll ask again, is a beta version reliable or why would someone use a beta version of a browser.

6. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Warning about updating to the latest though if you update to 25.0 version then some of your add ons might not work.It is all ways best to wait a few months be for you up date firefox for this reason.

7. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I just missed the edit by a minute so i'll ask again, is a beta version reliable or why would someone use a beta version of a browser. ccn <<

Mozilla has an additional Firefox version that they put out called "Firefox Nightly" which users can download at the following Site URL: http://nightly.mozilla.org/

Mozilla claims that the 'Nightly' builds are "for testing purposes only." I have used Nightly and enjoy it very much but perhaps others can chime in as to the benefits of other Mozilla Firefox builds.

Side Notes: Mozilla provides development builds of Firefox in the following channels: "Beta", "Aurora", and "Nightly" As of September 2013, Firefox 25 beta is in the "Beta" channel, Firefox 26 alpha is in the "Aurora" channel, and Firefox 27 pre-alpha is in the "Nightly" channel. (Source of 'side notes' info: Wikipedia.org)

Good Luck! -- COMP

8. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey Comp, I have used Nightly and actually found it to be faster than some of the Firefox final versions. I find it to be a very usable browser.

9. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Hey Comp, I have used Nightly and actually found it to be faster than some of the Firefox final versions. I find it to be a very usable browser. Nick T <<

I have also found Firefox Nightly to be very fast, reliable as well as stable too, Nick. The most cutting-edge builds around, Chrome Canary and Firefox nightly builds are where many of the most recent and up-to-date features and add-ons, etc. are developed. Mozilla tends to stress that Nightly is primarily for enthusiasts only, and claims that it is not always stable enough for daily use.

However I have never had any major problems using it; except for one time when a minor issue unfolded as it would not update properly and just kept restarting over and over again. Finally, I had to reinstall the program... but on the bright side; pretty much all of the settings stayed the same. I think I only had to change the start page and reinstall all of my favorites, which was a minor bother.

Side Note: You can find Firefox's stable, beta, and Aurora channels at the Firefox Future Releases page, and nightlies at the Nightly Builds page.

Good Luck! -- COMP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds