Connect 2 computers via two 56k modems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BrokenArrows, Mar 26, 2004.

1. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

hi i currently have the following machines:

dell deminision p4 450mhz windows 2000 with a 56kmodem

inspiron 8500 p4 2.2ghz windows xp with 56kmodem + 10/100 connection

as you can see my desktop does not have a 10/100 so i cannot create a lan to send files. I was wondering if there was any way that i could connect the two computers with a standard phone cable via the modems and use this to send files from one to the next.

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

With GREAT difficulty.

You tried looking into USB, serial or paralell port options? Or get a *very* inexpensive LAN PCI card for the desktop, and just use a crossover cable.

What expansion options do you have in the desktop?
    :)

3. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

i could do that but im just a cheap bastard and i could not be bothered. i wont do a thing that is gona cost me

4. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

the only way that I could see to do it with modems is through a hyperterminal window, or a remote dial in software like pcanywhere. Eiter way, it' going to be very ver slow. a network card is 10 bucks, highly recommended. If you still don' wat to go with that then go USB.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

1 person likes this.
  6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

since they are both Dell, why not add one drive and make it slave?

enable sharing and voila!

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Good link cat5e!

BOOMM... care to explain what youre talking about? :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds