Connected to Internet, Can't Browse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by indyattic, Jan 18, 2011.

1. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

I read a few other threads, but can't fix this myself. I have an XP machine on a wireless network that suddenly won't browse the internet no matter which browser I use.

When I tried using Internet Explorer (as opposed to my usual Firefox) it wanted to run a diagnostic on it, so I let it. It said that Windows detected a problem with the Winsock provider catalog on the computer, and wanted me to reset the catalog to the default config. Did that, restarted, no luck.

I ran a program called WinsockXPfix that was recommended in another thread, but it didn't help.

I also tried Click Start > Run > type CMD ipconfig /release (Enter) ipconfig /renew (Enter) . (Saw that somewhere else.)

Like I said, I am connected - I can transfer files via FTP.

I seem to recall that the laptop had this problem a month or so ago, and I tinkered with something in the router. I haven't used the XP machine since then - could it be related?

Should I be able to connect to the router through the browser?

I'm not terribly PC savvy. Any ideas about what to try next?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

If you've tinkered with something in your router and can't remember what you did, maybe try calling your ISP 'Internet Service Provider' tell them your having probs and you think it may be your router, and they'll run through some things with you, or the other alternative is to reset your router yourself , most/all routers have a reset button on the back, you usually have to use a pen or something like that to reset it as it is a little hole on the back of it !

3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Yes, you can get to the router from your browser. What router is it? Is it one you installed yourself or was it provided by your ISP?

Go back to the command prompt and this time try ipconfig /flushdns
    Don't close the window, see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't, go back to the command prompt window and try the tests of
    ping 4.2.2.2 [enter]
    ping google.com [enter]
    You should get answers from both. If you don't get an answer from google.com or at least the IP address back, then we might need to change your DNS settings in your computer.

Depending on your connection, have you tried resetting your modem - router - computer in that order? (unplug each device for 30 seconds, once you turn it back on, wait until each one connects before moving to the next one)

4. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

The router is mine. It's a Linksys. I can get to it from all the other computers that are on it, and they can all access the internet. I was hoping to avoid resetting it because my son has a ton gaming "stuff" that requires him to set certain programs to certain ports (or something...I'm not well versed in all this.)

The DNS flush didn't work, the pinging worked. I got responses from both.

ETA:

***Holy smokes - I just turned off my firewall for giggles and whoosh - I'm back on the net. Apparently I need to adjust something.***

Thanks again - maybe this will serve someone else in the future!

5. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Thanks for the update, glad to hear it!

I wasn't going to ask you to change anything in the router, at least not to start with. I hate resetting them too, there is always something in there that needs tinkering after.

Happy Surfing!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds