connected to wireless network but inet not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekgirl_wannabe, Jul 4, 2006.

1. geekgirl_wannabe

geekgirl_wannabe Private E-2

I'm using XP with a netgear external adapter and a D-Link router.
    My netgear softwar is telling me I'm connected to the internet-lots of green lights. My Wireless Network Connection says signal strength: excellent, status:connected. Everything looks fine. BUT when I pull up an internet window, it says it can't find server.
    Is there some miscommunication between Netgear and Windows??

2. KOB0724

KOB0724 Private First Class

What internet browser are you using? Internet explorer, firefox?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. geekgirl_wannabe

geekgirl_wannabe Private E-2

I haven't had any malware/spyware/viruses.
    How do I know if it's something with TCP/IP? I don't want to play with things too much because it could easily get worse...
    I did set up WEP security and have played with that but that's not the problem...
    As for the internet, I can't get on at all. It says I'm connected to the network, signal strength excellent but it just can't open a window...
    Any other ideas?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

With TCP/IP you would have to run that program I listed.

Do you have a software firewall, if so disable is and try connecting again.

When you try and open a browser window what is the error given and any error numbers>

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

:) worse than not working?

All that all those green lights mean is that your radio is on and you have connected to a wireless network.....doesn't mean that the wireless network can access the Internet. Did you follow any of HALO's suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds