Connecting multiple devices to access point in cilent-mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greg3305, Jul 27, 2008.

1. greg3305

greg3305 Private E-2

Got a quick, simple question. I have a few devices next to my TV that I would like to connect to my network, but they do not have wireless capabilities of their own. (For example, an Xbox.) Because of the distance to the cable modem, and the landlord's prohibition against installing new wall jacks, I cannot run a cable to these devices.

My solution was to configure an access point in client mode. This worked perfectly, but I only used it with one device. Now there are multiple devices I would like to connect. I assume I can simply plug a switch into the access point, and plug the devices into the switch. My question is this: using a straight-through cable to connect the switch and the access point, would I use the uplink port on the switch or a regular port?

2. WharfRat

WharfRat Guest

you need to plug the cable from the access point to the uplink port on the switch

3. greg3305

greg3305 Private E-2

Thanks!
    Why do some switches have uplink ports while others do not? Are the ones without uplink ports just auto-sensing?

4. WharfRat

WharfRat Guest

that would be correct, varies by manuf.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds