Connecting Pcie Power Makes Computer Not Post?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiredforpower, Jun 14, 2017.

1. wiredforpower

wiredforpower Private E-2

Hi guys,

For some reason when my GPU is connected to the pcie power, the computer won't turn on. However, when the card is disconnected I receive the error message, "Please power down and connect the pcie power cable(s) for this graphics card."

Steps I've taken to correct the issue:
    -Reset BIOS and CMOS
    -Tries integrated graphics
    -Verified using OEM power cables
    -Switched power ports on PSU
    -PSU does not seem to be the issue as the fan spins and is brand new
    -Not using power adapters
    -Using both 6 pin and 8 pin on GPU

Specs:
    PSU: Rosewill 650 watt modular power supply
    CPU: 6700k
    GPU: MSI GTX 1080
    RAM: G skill trident z 16 gb
    MOBO: ASRock z270
    Cooling: XSPC water pump / reservoir

2. Judgmental

Judgmental Private E-2

I am wondering if it is a problem with RAM. Apparently this Mobo is fussy with ram

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

What is the exact Brand and Model of the System or is it self-built?

4. Judgmental

Judgmental Private E-2

It is self built.

I7 6700k
    Asrock z270 killer sli
    G skill trident z ram 16gb
    MSI gtx 1080
    Samsung m.2 ssd
    Custom water loop

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Are YOU @wiredforpower ??

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

"OEM" power cables? I don't know what that means.

Exactly which MSI GTX 1080 card do you have? There seems to be several (like maybe 39 different models!) Even Newegg sells 13.

Fan spinning does not mean the PSU is outputting all 3 essential voltages (+12V, +5V and +3.3V). It only means the fan is getting power.

Make sure you are not confusing the 8-pin PCIe power cable with the 8-pin CPU power cable. They are not wired the same and often not properly keyed to prevent mixing up. This is especially a problem with modular supplies.

Did it ever work?

7. Judgmental

Judgmental Private E-2

I have verified that I am using the correct power connectors. The CPU 8 pin connector is plugged into the Mobo. It is all labeled on the psu. The GPU is an MSI GTX 1080 gaming x. Still no dice.

8. Judgmental

Judgmental Private E-2

He is my friend who suggested asking on here. The PC is mine.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's cleared up then, as the OP clearly refers to it as their system - great!

10. Judgmental

Judgmental Private E-2

Yeah sorry for the confusion lmao.
    Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

11. Digerati

Again, did it ever work? If this is a new build and it has not worked from the beginning, I would try a different, known good PSU.

Do note that Rosewill makes a wide variety of power supplies. Their top-tier "Gold" models are great. Their entry level budget models are not.

12. Judgmental

Judgmental Private E-2

It is not a rosewill psu that was a mistake. It is an evga supernova 650. The gold one.

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

And did it ever work????????????

14. Digerati

One of my favorites. But until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be units that fail prematurely.

Beyond that, we are waiting on you to provide the asked for information.

15. Judgmental

Judgmental Private E-2

It did work before. Once I swapped the Mobo which was a gigabyte z170 it stopped working. I don't see a reason this new Mobo wouldn't work however. And if you've built a custom loop then you know it is a pain to swap out a mobo

16. Digerati

No, not how it works. When you swap out a motherboard, you basically created a new computer. So if it never worked with this motherboard that points to the motherboard.
    Because until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be units that fail prematurely. While Gigabyte is my preferred brand (in fact, I have a Gigabyte Z170-HD3 in this computer), even they can have one that is DOA.

Since cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards, cases almost always have more mounting holes for standoffs than motherboards have mounting holes. I think you should pull the motherboard and re-assemble it on an unfinished bread/cutting board, or plain cardboard and see if it works out of the case. If it does, triple check to make sure you only have a case standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds