Connecting to a WiFi/Hotspot in WIN8..?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Mar 6, 2013.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I can't tell you how angry I became...and how humiliated I felt...

I had no significant problems, at hotspots, with WIN7...and I had no problem with 8, at home, connecting to my wireless router...immediately...within about 5 seconds, the first time I turned-on this laptop. But today, for the first time, I attempted to connect to two (2) different/separate wifi-spots - to no avail...none, whatsoever...at all...nada...zilch...zip.

Anyone have any ideas...please? :confused

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

In Network and Sharing Centre, click Change Adapter Settings and is your Wireless card/driver listed if so right click and disable and then enable and test again.

If that doesn't work then next time try the troubleshooter in the same area.

Also tell us any error messages you get if any when you try and connect etc

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David, and thanks for helping..

I "think" I may have found "part" of the problem . . . I probably turned Network Discovery "Off" in the first few hours of owning this machine (a couple weeks ago), however, that doesn't really make sense to me either, because my home "network" (1 desktop directly wired to a router) was discovered (or should I say "this laptop was/is discovered" by the router?).

This (Screenshot) seems so confusing...do I need (or should I have) different settings for these three -

1. "Private"

2. "Guest or Public"

3. "All Networks"?

It will likely be another week before I make the one hour drive back to a WiFi-Spot...I'm in the mountains, and we have a foot of snow today, still coming down (heavily) and they're calling for an additional 6-12 inches yet...

Attached Files:

4. DavidGP

Ah ok that could be it and Guest Public is what you need to choose if you are not on your home or a known safe network wireless connection.

With Network discovery on, do you see the hotspots you are used too seeing, when you are back in those areas in a weeks time, do let us know?

Can easily check if this is the issue by seeing what's listed (as in wireless connections) locally to your home or close by in a residential area.. mention this as I don't know your locality, could for all intense and purpose live in the back and beyond! ;)

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Okay, in Network and Sharing Centre, by clicking "Change Adapter Settings", I get "BUPKIS" (nuttin!?!) --->>> ?

The connection to the internet is relatively "well" on my wired/wireless home network. I simply don't wish to repeat (in a few days) the anxiety and humiliation I went through a few days ago, at a WiFi Hotspot, of not being able to connect (not even "finding/seeing" a connection at an establishment that I know very well was offering, and delivering-on, an internet connection)....

Attached Files:

6. DavidGP

HI Glenn

In the system tray what app is managing your Wireless networks? as you should have both an Ethernet and Wireless options in that menu location, if you do not then its likely an app or tweak has caused the issue as by default on a vanilla Windows 8 install and with Ethernet/wireless hardware enabled they do show.

if you connect at home ok on Ethernet and Wireless then something else opposed to Windows default settings is at fault, as I mentioned a tweak (services) to a 3rd party security or tweak app.

My desktop PC I'm using at present below (yeah desktop has wifi also)

Attached Files:

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David, and thanks for your offer to help.

I have been trying for several days (!) to find the very screen ("Network Connections" section) which you displayed in your last message here. I have not been able to find it.

Was always able to find it in every other version of Windows I've owned/worked with, but not in 8 (not yet at least). Actually I did "find" it (more like stumbled-across it) once...a couple weeks, but am not finding it since then.

I keep looking in "Network & Sharing Center" to no avail.

Also I "was" able to finally connect to a hotspot earlier in the week... however, was only able to connect from the Admin UA, which I understand to be a very bad idea :(

Did you mean this (screenshot) for the tray area?)

Attached Files:

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I don't know whether to start a new thread, or continue with this one, so for now will continue...

For some reason or other, I have only been able to connect to the internet through the Admin User Account when I am away from home (away from my wireless home network)..and to the best of my recollection (and long-time practice), visiting the internet while in Admin mode is just asking for trouble.

I have 1-to-2 weeks to get my wifi settings and protection tight and secure before I move to a residence where I don't think I'll have much "control" over the wireless router/network/security - beyond my own machine, that is.

This basically terrifies the living hell out of me, speaking from a banking/financial/economic perspective.

9. DavidGP

Hi Glenn

What do you have listed in the area I posted a screenshot in post #6?

If you are wanting Wifi as secure as possible then a closed wifi is preferable as in your home wifi network or a mobile network point (that off a USB or phone shared network), a public wifi network is not advisable for banking and personal data.

What accounts do you have on your PC, please name all?

10. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David - thanks.

Is this (screenshot) what you meant by "accounts" that I have?

Also, this (my location/internet connection) is going to change in about a week, so am I to understand I will need to make changes then?

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds