Connecting Wires in New Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dumb_Question, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

This is a trivial question, it may seem, about new builds (computers)

So, you have your psu, hard discs, RAM, graphics card, m/b, case, etc...that's everything right ?
    You start putting everything together, and realise the you have don't have everything...you're missing those little connectors to connecting wires with the correct connectors to connect the power switch, HD light, power light, and back panel sockets to the motherboard.

Where can you buy such items ? What are they called (so that everyone knows what you're talking about ?) Never having built a computer myself, I appeal to those of who have for advice, for benefit of your experience.

Dumb_Question
    18.August.2014

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

If you purchased a new case the connectors should be on the wire bundle inside the case.

Consult your MB manual to determine where the connectors go on the MB. Have some tweezers ready or very small fingers. Doctors curved hemostats work even better.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Most motherboards come with "system panel connector" wiring. As do most computer cases.

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

The only dumb question is one that isn't asked.

Ditto on the connectors coming with the case. These are usually called "Front Panel" connections, and each little plug should have what it is for stamped on it. Some are obvious, but others can be a bit cryptic. Most will look something like the image I have attached. Be advised that any LEDs your case has have a + and - side. It won't hurt anything if you mix up which is which when plugging them in . . . the LED just won't light up. If you have an LED that doesn't light, try reversing the plugs.

When you say "Back panel sockets" what exactly do you mean?

Attached Files:

5. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Thank you; I have seen something similar to Spad's picture when I looked up "system panel connector"...I haven't yet opened the box containing the case, because I have another little job that I told myself I'd do before I did that...

(it's not you might call new build, more a reassembly of old components, but it's the first time I will have done even that)

Dumb_Question
    19.August.2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds