Connection drops randomly then reconnects

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hellzscream, Jan 25, 2013.

1. hellzscream

hellzscream Private First Class

Over the past 2-3weeks my connection keeps randomly dropping. It is barely noticeable because I will be gaming playing an online game and notice lag and eventually disconnect during this time I tab out quickly and try some website in Chrome and get the message that my connection is down. After around 5-10seconds it reconnects itself. This happens around every 1-2hrs.

I've no idea what is causing this issue my connection has been fine for the last year up until now. I don't remember installing anything new during this time period. I call my ISP they pretty much can't help me because they say everything is fine on their end and expect me to call during the small window that this issue happens. A tech is coming over today to check out the issue.

My gateway is called cisco dpc3825 and I currently have it in bridged mode. Any suggestions on what might be causing this and how to start troubleshooting?

2. hellzscream

Forgot i'm also directly connected to the gateway and nobody else is connected to it

3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Can you explain exactly how your network is set up?

Cisco modem/router/wireless device that is directly connected to the ISP? No, because then you wouldn't be in bridged mode.

ISP --- Modem ----- Cisco used as a router only?--- computer ?
    with other devices connected differently?

What I'm trying to figure out is how you are connected differently and what the other IPs on the network are. The Cisco has a default IP of 192.168.0.1. If any other device on the network also has that IP, your system will randomly look at the other device to see if that is the gateway.

Two devices with the same IP as your gateway can cause these symptoms. Two devices set as DHCP servers. IP conflicts. If you can give the devices and the IPs of the devices on your network, it might become obvious.

4. hellzscream

Think you are confused what I said? It is connected directly to my desktop through the ethernet cord and I am the only 1 using it in bridged mode

5. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I apologize. I see now what you mean being the only one connected to the gateway. I read it differently. Did the ISP fix it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds