1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connection issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by bluer4u, Jun 17, 2004.

1. bluer4u

bluer4u Private E-2

I have been having an issue with my XP system. Trying to download email always times out and alot of links in IE show page cant be displayed. If I reboot and choose to go into Win 98, the same email downloads very fast and complete. I have ran adaware, spybot, hijack this, checked for parasites and viruses and clean everything that I can find, and still have the same issue. Another thing that I have noticed is the the svchost .exe is now SVCHOST.EXE in the task manager.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Meeshock

Meeshock Private E-2

I've been dealing with a similar issue for almost a month now. I believe my problem was with the Instant Messenger update that downloads with the IE update. I had to remove all start up options for Instant Messenger. At the same time I think I had some adware that kept being 'reborn' due to a file in the prefetch folder. When I would go into the task manager's Processes, I would have several winhlp.dll.exe files running. It was preventing me from receiving large email attachments. I think it was 'timing out' my internet connection. I had to search my hard drive for any files containing winhlp. I kept deleting the winhlp.dll.exe files, and the problem continued, as well as the files showing back up. Eventually I found the windows/prefetch folder and deleted anything I didn't recognize. That seemed to fix my problem. Those files haven't shown up again for about 4 days now. I hope this will help you.